🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Venting extractor fan

Options
Hi,

My bathroom fitter has vented my extractor fan into the chimney in the loft space and I am concerned that this is wrong and could cause damp issues - am I correct in thinking this? I also thought that it was against building regulations but am not sure.

Could anyone please shed some light on this for me please.

Comments

• dampdaveski
    dampdaveski Posts: 529 Forumite
    Options
    Jay,
    Yes it is and yes it will!
    An extractor fan should be fitted to vent directly outside with a sleeve through the wall, or to a roof vent, any duct runs over 1.5m should be in rigid ducting
    The only way you would get away with it in a chimney stack would be to fit ducting up to a cowl on the top of the stack (not flexi duct) AND to fit a condensation trap in the ductwork
    The advice I give on here is based on my many years in the preservation industry. I choose to remain anonymous, I have no desire to get work from anyone. No one can give 100% accurate advice on a forum if I get it wrong you'll get a sincere apology and that's all:D
    Don't like what I have to say? Call me on 0800 KMA;)
  • Jaynorth_2
    Jaynorth_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok thanks for the confirmation. So essentially I have a cowboy who is trying to cut corners - why is it so difficult to get decent tradesmen.
  • dampdaveski
    Options
    he might not be a cowboy Jay, just misinformed and untrained in the black art of installing domestic ventilation systems (a bathroom extractor most definitely comes under this category).
    It's his next step after being informed of his error that will define whether he is a cowboy!
    Good luck with it though :)
    The advice I give on here is based on my many years in the preservation industry. I choose to remain anonymous, I have no desire to get work from anyone. No one can give 100% accurate advice on a forum if I get it wrong you'll get a sincere apology and that's all:D
  • Jaynorth_2
    Jaynorth_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    he might not be a cowboy Jay, just misinformed and untrained in the black art of installing domestic ventilation systems (a bathroom extractor most definitely comes under this category).
    It's his next step after being informed of his error that will define whether he is a cowboy!
    Good luck with it though :)

Dave, I am inclined to think the worst because we initially agreed for him to ventilate it through the soffit and he only informed me that it was through the chimney after I asked about it and he usually runs most things by me before he does it like where a switch should be placed etc...

He gave the impression that it was exiting through the chimney stack and because the fan is in the corner of the loft he probably thought I would not bother to go up and have a look.
  • dampdaveski
    Options
    ah!
    guess he's not a fan of lying on his belly fighting with the soffit kit he forget to purchase to do the job properly -.-
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just another point - I hope the chimney isn't used by a boiler or an open fire ? If so this intrusion into the chimney is highly dangerous and potentially life threatening.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family