crossrail

How much it will cost to go from Romford to central London via CrossRail? Will the crossrail station be at the same position as the current Romford train station? Anyone knows?

Comments

• anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Too early to say for prices, but look at some for the route now.
    The station will be the same, as far as I am aware but I may be wrong.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Where need be the stations {including Romford} will be extended/modernized to except the new Crossrail rolling stock but no fares have been sorted as yet. Still it will save using the branch line to Upminster and using the C2C when the work is done
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Since Crossrail wll come under TFL, I assume that the fares will be the same zonal ones as currently operating via your Oystercard using train and tube.
    Romford station, and all the other existing stations, will be adapted as necessary to accommodate the new trains-in the main, that means platform lengthening and lift installation.
    The Shenfield to Liverpool St section is scheduled to open in 2017.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 348 Forumite
    I read online that the tickets will be as DLR, is this true?
  • headpin
    headpin Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Boris Johnson in 2013 made a response to a question from a London assembly member that the cross rail fares will mirror those as charged on the London underground and Docklands light railway. He also confirmed that the mayor for London will be the person responsible for setting the fares on crossrail.

He also indicated that the full range of travelcards, oyster cards and freedom passes, etc would be accepted.

However, that was 2013 and there Will be a new mayor when the cross rail services commence and the fares are actually set. So, at the moment it would appear they will mirror London underground and the Docklands light railway, but who knows what finally may be decided as there Will be a new mayor when the cross rail services commence and the fares are set. So, at the moment it would appear the fares will mirror London underground and the Docklands light railway but who knows?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2015 at 10:39AM
    The main purpose of Crossrail is to increase east-west capacity and reduce overcrowding on the Central line and LP St to Shenfield Metro service. It would therefore be absurd to hike the fares for Crossrail compared to those services.
    Most stations served by Crossrail will be already integrated into other services, so the gateline Osytercard readers won't necessarily know which route you have used. For example, you could board at Romford and travel to Bond St using either Crossrail, or a combination of Crossrail and Central Line, interchanging at a number of stations.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    It would have to fully integrate into the current TfL system, so I can't see how they could charge more than the existing fares.

Otherwise you'd need separate barriers etc between crossrail and other parts of the stations.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    TfL will take over the operation of the "Metro" service between Shenfield and Liverpool Street in May this year. All the Greater Anglia brand logos have already been removed from the rolling stock. Platform lengthening work for 13 coach trains is taking places at various stations along the line.

More information on the crossrail web site:
    http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/surface/north-east-section/
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    spezial wrote: »
    I read online that the tickets will be as DLR, is this true?
    Yes, at the TfL rate.

Romford is in Zone 6, so the fare to Zone 1 (or through zone 1 and beyond to anywhere up to Zone 6) will be £5.10 peak / £3.10 off peak (at 2015 prices)
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 348 Forumite
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    Yes, at the TfL rate.

Romford is in Zone 6, so the fare to Zone 1 (or through zone 1 and beyond to anywhere up to Zone 6) will be £5.10 peak / £3.10 off peak (at 2015 prices)

so to go to central london and back, I will need £10 ???
    that's extremely expensive!
    with that amount I can go from Basildon to Central London, which is almost double the distance!
    I really don't get it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport