Hedgehog advice

Shen81
Shen81 Posts: 98 Forumite
edited 22 April 2015 at 1:23AM in Pets & pet care
This afternoon whilst gardening I found an unwell baby hedgehog in the grass by my apple tree. He doesn't appear to be injured but there is something wrong with him as he is very docile and not that responsive. I've made him a little home in the shed and left him some cat meat and water which he has not touched yet but I'm hoping he will eat through the night.

If his condition doesn't improve, is there a place I can take him like the vet or a sanctuary for wild animals?

I don't want to leave him to die. :(

Comments

• moggies
    moggies Posts: 39 Forumite
    Hello can I get back to you a bit later on ,its a bit late now to make a phone call,but my best friend runs an animal wildlife rescue ,and what she doesnt know about hedgehogs blows my head off shees an angel:A,she is in the Bucks area .
  • Shen81
    Shen81 Posts: 98 Forumite
    moggies wrote: »
    Hello can I get back to you a bit later on ,its a bit late now to make a phone call,but my best friend runs an animal wildlife rescue ,and what she doesnt know about hedgehogs blows my head off shees an angel:A,she is in the Bucks area .
    That would have been wonderful for you to do that but I just checked on him and sadly he has passed away at some point during the night. :(
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    The British Hedgehog Society has a list of carers on their site with their tel number.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• Aldeney
    Aldeney Posts: 429 Forumite
    That's very sad, poor little one. Thank you though for looking out for him, hedgehogs need all the help they can get these days.
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    moggies wrote: »

Hedgehog bottom by any chance ?
  • zaxdog
    zaxdog Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Some quick steps:

Get something like a storage crate and line with news paper. Add a pile of shredded newspaper in one corner and a dish of dried cat biccies (ALWAYS the meat ones not the fish), make sure there is plenty of water available, a dish of fresh kept filled is fine.

If you have something like a heating pad used in wine making stick it under the crate. If not, keep the crate in a warm area.

Change the crate fully EVERY day. Hedgehog poo has to be smelled to be believed :eek:

Don't worry about humans getting the fleas it's a myth BUT if you get an itchy rash it could be ringworm (which is no panic and easily treated)

Contact the British Hedgehog Society for more advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport