Unfair redundancy payment?

Options
My mum is about to be made redundant after 12 years service. The place where she works is closing down.

During discussions about severance pay,it's come to light that salaried staff will receive a 50% gratuity on their redundancy settlement whereas weekly paid employees will just recieve the statutory amount.

The disparity in terms is obviously unfair but is it unlawful?

Could the term in the contract be discriminatory?

The union has had 2 meetings with the employers to try and broker a fairer deal but both proved fruitless, is there anything we can do?

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Agreed it is unfair but all they HAVE to do is comply with the law.

It sounds to me like that's what they are doing.
    Space available for rent
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My mum is about to be made redundant after 12 years service. The place where she works is closing down.

During discussions about severance pay,it's come to light that salaried staff will receive a 50% gratuity on their redundancy settlement whereas weekly paid employees will just recieve the statutory amount.

The disparity in terms is obviously unfair but is it unlawful?

Could the term in the contract be discriminatory?.

It might be indirectly discriminatory (and thus unlawful) if, eg, the weekly paid staff are predominantly female whilst the salaried staff are predomintary male.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    ^^^ What he said. In fact this is true for any protected characteristic - the Union should be thinking of challenging this if there are significant differences between weekly and monthly paid in any of the following areas:

Disability
    Gender reassignment
    Marriage and Civil Partnership
    Religion and Belief
    Pregnancy

I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure