Housing benefit overpayment

Couple of days ago we have received letter saying we have been overpaid over £9000 in HB since 06.2013. We've been asked to supply Payslips, work contracts, P60 forms which we did. When we spoke with council officer she said that HMRC updated our details and according to them my husband's net pay since 6.2013 was £2500 which is over twice as much he is earning. All the documents we've supplied show his actual income. My question is how long will it take council to sort it out and if they actually will find our paperwork valid, because it's our "word" against HMRC. who we should contact at HMRC to check those details?
Thank you


  • katti
    katti Posts: 2 Newbie
    Just been on the phone with HMRC and their details show that he was earning £1200p/m and not £2500 and they've got no idea why council has this information.
    Can someone come up with reasonable explanation, please...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards