Floor screeding and wall/ceiling plastering

Options
Hi everyone

I need help ... Ive absolutely no idea as to whether a quote ive had is fair or not.

We've just had a large outbuilding constructed in our garden, and the floor space is 30 sq m.

The quote we've had is £2100.00 inc VAT and the work to be carried out is the laying of 50mm kingspan on the 30 sq m of floor, to be then topped with 75mm of reinforced screed.

All the walls and ceiling are covered in bare brand new plaster board and will need to be skimmed.

What do you think of this price ... I wanted to phone the builder up tonight and tell him Yay or Nay
Some days I wake up Grumpy ... Other days I let him lie in.

Comments

• makeyourdaddyproud
    Options
    Is he on checkatrade?

It's difficult to know if that's your only quote but I would stall him and perhaps get another and compare?

By the sound of the quote it would appear reasonable as we had a patio professionally laid but smaller (16 sq/mtrs), and that cost £1,300 all inclusive.

Bearing in mind your square meterage (is that a word) is just below twice that of our patio area, I would guess it is indeed a reasonable quote.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It seems pretty reasonable on the face of it.

I'd pop 100mm of celotex in and photograph the layers with a ruler, just in case you ever need building regs to convert it to more than an outbuilding. Will be more than sufficient.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    If you're ever thinking converting or a selling point think insulation, service pipes/pipe for under floor heating etc few extra 100 now much more retrofitting

Price Depends on preparation and how good the finished screed is (biggest single factor) materials wise all much the same its not cheap but its not expensive either middle road I’d say
  • jaqui59
    jaqui59 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

Very interesting to hear your ideas about any future conversion of the outbuilding.

Thinking back to 5 years ago when we had a garage constructed, the builder we hired charged us over £2000 to lay an 18' by 10' concrete base, so it made me think the £2100 for this particular job probably wasn't excessive.

The plasterer was recommended to me by the guy who actually constructed the building, so not on Checkatrade or Trust a Trader etc, but I will trust the recommendation.
    Some days I wake up Grumpy ... Other days I let him lie in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure