income support + need new boiler HELP

Options
HI

I have just recently gone on income support and my boiler has broken down from the engineers that I have called it seems that it is beyond repairable, now I need a new one but I just cant afford to buy a new one and I am pregnant hoping to deliver in a month.

I have contacted Npower regarding their free energy saving improvements and they have that that income support alone does not qualify for a new boiler. So now I don't know what to do I can survive without the heating but there's no hot water either!

Please, can someone direct me to the right place.

Many Thanks

I.M

Comments

• midnight_express
    Options
    Who owns the house ?
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Always worth getting a second opinion, some engineers are far too quick to write off a boiler.
  • benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    HI

I have just recently gone on income support and my boiler has broken down from the engineers that I have called it seems that it is beyond repairable, now I need a new one but I just cant afford to buy a new one and I am pregnant hoping to deliver in a month.

I have contacted Npower regarding their free energy saving improvements and they have that that income support alone does not qualify for a new boiler. So now I don't know what to do I can survive without the heating but there's no hot water either!

Please, can someone direct me to the right place.

Many Thanks

I.M

That's strange, I have a letter here from N Power for a neighbour that says

"Dear Mr ******
    With reference to your telephone call today with our agent, I am happy to confirm that all charges for Surveys, Boiler and Installation are covered by NPower under the government ECO scheme.
    Please accept my apologies for any confusion caused."

The neighbour in question is in receipt of a means tested benefit. His boiler is 13 years old, still working normally but is a C grade efficient. The new one is supposed to be an A grade one.

Letter dated **April 2015.
  • bubblegum94
    Options
    Who owns the house ?

Hi

Thanks for the reply
    I own the house.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    No contingency funds for this kind of thing?
  • bubblegum94
    Options
    benniebert wrote: »
    That's strange, I have a letter here from N Power for a neighbour that says

"Dear Mr ******
    With reference to your telephone call today with our agent, I am happy to confirm that all charges for Surveys, Boiler and Installation are covered by NPower under the government ECO scheme.
    Please accept my apologies for any confusion caused."

The neighbour in question is in receipt of a means tested benefit. His boiler is 13 years old, still working normally but is a C grade efficient. The new one is supposed to be an A grade one.

Letter dated **April 2015.

I'm not sure then as I did call Npower today and they said I need to be in receipt of another benefit as well as income support to qualify however I will be getting child benefit when the baby is born, but I want to get this problem fixed before it arrives.
  • bubblegum94
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    No contingency funds for this kind of thing?

No, I guess I have learnt my lesson here I will be more prepared for unforeseen future expenses.
  • Kittycat1981
    Options
    Speak to your midwife, ask her to refer you to your local children's centre- your Midwife and health visitor can all write supporting letters along with your children centre to the energy company. New baby on the way- no heating- no hot water = not good. Not providing the basic essentials for baby.

I would call them back after you have done some research online. I am also sure that you may be able to go "green deal"- dont quote me on this but i am sure that you can have a boiler fitted and pay for it every month on top of your energy bills. It stays with the house (not the person) - so when you sell up, the new home owners continue to pay for the boiler on top of their energy bill. << Or something like that.

Google it for the details.
    Finally dealing with debt: 01.01.2015 -£10,562.:(
    01.02.15-£8820 01.03.15-£8066 01.04.15 £7036 01.05.2015- 6128 01.06.15 £4957

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2015! #59- £5605/[STRIKE]£10,562[/STRIKE] 53%
    2015: Sell £1000 #69 £510.97/1000
    Virtual sealed pot challenge #24 £32.19/£300
  • GirlFromMars_2
    Options
    I'm not sure then as I did call Npower today and they said I need to be in receipt of another benefit as well as income support to qualify however I will be getting child benefit when the baby is born, but I want to get this problem fixed before it arrives.
    These are the extra qualifying conditions:
    If you receive Income Support, Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance or Income-Related Employment Support Allowance one extra condition must also apply from the following.
    • You have a child under 16
    • You have a child under 20 in full-time education (not university)
    • You get Child Tax Credit including a disability element
    • You get a Disabled Child Premium
    • You get a Disability Premium
    • You have a Pensioner Premium
    • You have a Work Related Activity or Support Component (With Income-Related Employment Support Allowance)
    http://www.boilergrants.co.uk/qualify-boiler-grant.php
    It seems like you will qualify as soon as you have a child under 16 living in the home with you. ie as soon as you give birth. I agree with Kittycat I would get supporting evidence from your midwife that you are indeed very pregnant and see if there is anything the energy company can do to fast track a new boiler for you.
  • tea-bag
    tea-bag Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Green deal?

The Father?

Welcome to the world of home ownership.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing