Problem with phantom payment!

Options
A friend and I had a problem with our university sports centre a small while back, we resolved it at the time but I would be interested in knowing how others would have dealt with it.

We booked and prepaid an induction session (for using the climbing wall). It was only about £10. A week later we turned up to the session but got told at the reception desk the session had been cancelled. Not a problem, they said just book another session at a later date.

I think it was a couple months later we managed to get around to booking another session. When we turned up we explained we'd already paid and we were ushered through. After the induction was when the problem arose. They claimed they had no record of the payment!

Furthermore I had the date of the previous (cancelled) session noted so they were able to look up induction for that time - apparently a register had been taken for that class, indicating it hadn't been cancelled. I'm not sure why that was the case but based on their administration skills it wouldn't surprise me if someone had incorrectly dated a register (or even read it wrong there and then!).

In any case we explained all of the above but it came down to our word against theirs. We were insistent we'd paid (definitely had) but for some reason they'd not made any record of it? Is that standard practice at sports centres? Did we have any legal rights to refuse to pay again (in full knowledge that we'd paid once already!) despite having no receipt? What would you have done?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport