MoneySaving Poll: How old were you when you bought your first home or have you never?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
30 replies 5.4K views
Former_MSE_Sam_MFormer_MSE_Sam_M Former MSE
346 Posts
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
Poll started 7 April 2015

How old were you when you bought your first home or have you never bought one?

The government has announced a new Help to Buy ISA where it’ll add 25% onto the deposit savings of first time buyers. So with this in mind, we wanted to see if the age people buy their first home has changed over the years.

Have you bought a home and if so how old were you the first time you did it?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    29 yrs, it cost me £5750. Hard to pay the mortgage on £35 per week though.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • torbrextorbrex
    71.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 33, it cost me £26000, I paid my mortgage off 9 years early and I am told that the house is now worth 3 times what I paid for it.
  • no1catmanno1catman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought my first one for £19500 in 1981, sold it for £148k in 2007. Now in my 2nd house £206k and have paid off the mortgage.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Age 48 after 30 years in Forces MQs
  • I was 29 and my new two bed end-terrace cost 37,500. Sold two years later for 62,500, bought new four bed detached for 97,500, now worth just under 400K... :p
  • puk999puk999 Forumite
    546 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I bought at age 35. Am now 44. Purchase price £192k with mortgage of £160k. Mortgage now at £80k.

Wish I had a crystal ball, or was more clued up and interested in houses and how they could rise in price. I would've purchased a lot earlier.
  • tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought my first property at 20 ,I'm now 67. We bought a 3 bed semi for £7600 .
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • dollypeepsdollypeeps Forumite
    190 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Bought at age 19 for 35k with my boyfriend now dh

Now worth 100k approx
    :j mortgage now £0 as of June 2019:

:T:j:T:j:T:j TOTALLY DEBT FREE:j:T:j:T:j:
  • We just bought our first home, a little dilapidated cottage in rural Ireland. I'm 27, he's 33. It cost us €39,500 and thanks to savings and a loan from my parents we have no mortgage.
    We could believe they accepted our offer! It'll be a lot of work to get it looking great but it's now liveable and we've moved in. Handy that my husband's a carpenter so doing most of the work himself!
  • nakednaked Forumite
    107 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'm 31, I bought my first house 5 years ago for £69,000.

The houses at the end of the terrace have been put on the market for £125k and £150k in the last 2 years and both failed to sell. The only difference is that they have extended up into the loft.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides