We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Moneysaving in rural location
Comments
-
Actually, when I lived rurally it was so easy to get free food which meant life was much easier and cheaper! Instead of spending time driving between supermarkets looking for the deals, spend time growing your own (note - don't grow the cheap stuff, it won't be worth it for your time but grow fennel, artichokes, chillis, berries, you're in the money), get chickens for both eggs and meat (you can slaughter any animal at home if it is only to be consumed by you and your immediate family), go foraging, offer to help beat on a shoot in exchange for whatever they are shooting (pigeon and pheasant are very pricey!), find other small holders\veggie patch people and swap veggies and other produce, take up fishing.
You could theoretically if you put as much time into those items as you would deal hunting, entirely cut your food bill in half.0 -
I'm 12 miles from the nearest shop which is a wee village post office/general store. But Asda and Sainsbugs deliver to me, so I get them to deliver on Tuesdays for £1. But there's no chance of yellow stickered bargains, so shopping lists and meal planning is the way to go. I not very good at the planning bit but I do at least try lol. And like Suki, I get powercuts in bad weather and can't keep an awful lot of meat in the freezer, just in case.0
-
I shop online for Asda which is an hour away or Tesco which is almost an hour in the opposite direction. I choose the £1 delivery option and try to stock up when they have offers for things I use a lot of. When I get a lift from a chum to shops I stock up. Also was staying near an M&S for a few days in January ( I housesit) and they had £5 off £25 for food coupons given out in December. We each bought several of the 3 for £10 in meat / salmon/chicken etc then put them in the car had a cup of tea and did it again and again. We have done this for the last few years and it stocks up our freezer for most of the year. You need to build up a store cupboard especially things you cannot run out of toilet roll etc .0
-
Is there a market? If so selling what and are the prices cheaper?0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
