We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Moneysaving in rural location

2

Comments

  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Although I agree with meal planning, I'd also say build in some flexibility. I do a big monthly shop for basics and follow most of the advice given above. I freeze milk (although I buy that on a weekly basis usually) and warn that it takes ages to defrost!
    Rural locations vary a bit for markets. Our nearest small town has a decent weekly market for fruit & veg, and other bits, and a Farmers' Market that has very good meat & poultry (not as expensive as the ones in more urban areas I've found out). I use our small Co-op for top-ups and it's not as expensive as some supermarkets, and the quality is excellent.

    3 things I would invest in:
    a bread maker (see lots of threads on this subject!)
    a vacuum packer that allows both frozen & refrigerated food to last much longer (excellent for cheese)
    getting to know the neighbours & asking around (as recommended). A lot of informal bartering goes on, and even if you don't have much in your garden to barter, a pot of say, home-made marmalade or pickled onions (or just a cake) is very welcome. They can also recommend which farms do decent bulk sales of meat and which to avoid!
  • Grow your own veg, keep chickens, get a goat for milk and make your own cheese. Get a huge chest freezer and shop once a month. That should keep costs down
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I would also mention trip planning

    As you know the cost of running a car in the country is so expensive cos of the fuel, so I only go into town to shop when I have to go for another reason

    So a typical run in for me would be the dentist/doctor/chemist/bank/vet/petrol/dry cleaners /opticians/supermarket

    Get the idea? I get as much for my mpg as I can :)

    Since living rural our diet has changed. We no longer use ready meals and we tend to eat only what's produced locally and in season as it's cheaper and more easily available. We also grow our own, with varying success and we swop around with friends. We also are friends with members of the gun club so rabbits and pigeons are often handed over. And fishing is a huge sport around this area, with lots of fishermen not liking fish being more then happy to give it to someone who does eat it

    I don't have a big freezer, two many power cuts that last for days but I do keep a well stocked store cupboard. I meal plan around what's available at a price I'm willing to pay when it comes to meat

    I can honestly say I spend half of what we used to spend when we lived in the city as we can no longer impulse buy or get takeaways
  • GreenQueen
    GreenQueen Posts: 539 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    We are rural, fortunate in having a doctor, pharmacy, post office and I work in our nearest town (7 miles), so go past a supermarket regularly.

    A lot of our neighbours have supermarket deliveries - the delivery charge is no more than the petrol if you're not going out anyway. We also have a lot of people who put produce and honesty boxes on their doorsteps - eggs, apples, seasonal fruit and veg - and a lot of those are priced way below market prices.

    We have a milk delivery three times a week, a bit more per pint, but very convenient. I think you need to treat the delivery cost as a convenience cost for all your potential purchases and work out whether it's worth it to you (as it's very personal where the priorities lie).

    My bugbears are:
    - the price of petrol, regularly 2p-3p per litre more expensive than adjoining counties, because they know we don't have a viable public transport alternative
    - missing out on dual fuel discounts because our village doesn't have gas

    GQ
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,013 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 7 April 2015 at 2:09PM
    If you are filling the petrol tank every week, you are working daily? Are there any supermarkets or even markets close to where you work, or somewhere that a diversion on the way home once a week would make sense?

    If you have a garden are likely to be staying, then definitely learn how to grow your own food. Go for the things of which you need "just a little bit" to make a meal more interesting. So woody herbs in a sunny spot on the south side of the house, parsley and the like in partial shade.

    If you grow things like mangetout peas, spring onions, french beans, salading like rocket and later sprouting brocolli, mizuna if you like it, you will have fewer festering heaps at the back of the fridge and a more interesting diet.

    Check out the square foot garden method and start with a 4x8 bed and you will be amazed how much you can grow.

    Wilkos have a couple of good seed packs at 90p for 6 varieties.

    Anyone local a good gardener?
    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Get a bicycle?

    Might save on the odd journey here and there.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Work with your neighbours. Car share to the supermarket, or time your big shops differently, and get the one doing that weeks big shop to get fresh stuff for the rest of you.

    Arrange heating oil as a village to give you better buying power.
    Zebras rock
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    I have been rural all my life and i wasn't a driver for many of these.

    What i do :~

    back up storecupbord, not just for groceries but for everything including matches, medicines, bin bags, bulbs, candles and a spare jerry can of fuel for the car, all those sorts of things.

    Freezers i have two.

    Keep a corded phone incase of power cuts.

    Important telephone numbers written down and kept somewhere where everyone can find it.

    Plenty of fuel for heating the house, we have oil and/wood burner so we buy oil in the summer and spend a lot of the summer building our log collection.

    Online grocery delivery.

    Combining journeys.

    Most important, enjoy the peace and quiet.

    hth

    Regards
    :j
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I live in semi-rural France (but am planning to sell up and move back to the UK as soon as I can). Our nearest shops are a drive away; there is nothing within walking distance. I have a big chest freezer that I keep as full as possible, and I make my own bread and cakes. I have two slow cookers that I keep on the go most days, making soups, curries, and so on. I buy fresh milk in bulk once a week which lasts well. Living in the country sounds wonderful but it's not always easy, especially in the winter.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

    Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I live 60 miles from a supermarket so can't get reduced items daily.
    I am stunned this is possible in this era of supermarket domination!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.