Tax Credit for UK dividend

Options
Hi,

I've just logged into my online shares account and looked at the tax section and it reads

Tax Credit - £13.90

What does this actually mean? Do I need to fill in the pay, or has it already been taken out?

Thanks

Comments

• TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The 10% dividend tax has already been taken off and it's to that that the tax credit refers. If you pay basic-rate tax and don't complete a tax return then there's nothing to do. If you pay basic-rate tax and complete a self-assessment return, you need to declare the dividend on your tax return, but no further tax will be due. If you pay higher rate tax, you need to declare the dividend and further tax will be payable.
  • happyharry23
    Options
    Excellent, thank you for your help.
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TCA wrote: »
    The 10% dividend tax has already been taken off and it's to that that the tax credit refers. If you pay basic-rate tax and don't complete a tax return then there's nothing to do. If you pay basic-rate tax and complete a self-assessment return, you need to declare the dividend on your tax return, but no further tax will be due. If you pay higher rate tax, you need to declare the dividend and further tax will be payable.

No tax is deducted from UK dividends before they are paid to investors. See: http://www.theaic.co.uk/sites/default/files/AICTaxationofDividendsConsumerguide.pdf
  • lpgm
    lpgm Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think more sites get dividend tax wrong than right. Including our very own MSE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure