Share certificates discovered

Options
My mother in law passed away recently and we have been sorting out her effects. We came across a cache of share certificates for WH Smith, where she used to work, totalling 158 'A' ordinary shares.

We thought that she had sold her shares, and there is a receipt from Lloyds showing the sale of 142 shares in 1999. But we are now thinking that these were additional to the shares we have found, since she would have had to surrender the share certificates at that time. Also we would have expected her to have sold all 158, rather than a proportion of them.

So: is our thinking correct? As we hold the certificates, are we as executors of MIL's will, in possession of 158 WHS shares? Since they are currently valued at around £13 each, it would make quite a difference.

Comments

• MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    I suggest you contact the registrar for W H Smith shares to check this out. The registrar is ....

Computershare Investor Services PLC
    The Pavilions
    Bridgwater Road
    Bristol
    BS99 6ZZ
    United Kingdom

Shareholder telephone: +44 (0)871 495 0100*
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The link below should point to Computershare's "Deceased Process" but their site is down at the moment and I can't verify the link.

Deceased Process

or read Google's cached copy
  • ericonabike
    ericonabike Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's really helpful - I've rang them, and agreed to send in copies of the certificates so that they can research it. Much obliged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure