HL withdraw 90% of your funds?

Options
Has anyone else noticed that when you have money in a fund and you try to withdraw it, it says you can withdraw up to 90% of the value?

What's this about?

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe there is a limit to the amount that can be left.

I've withdrawn the whole amount with no problems. Can you just change the number of units to the amount you want?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • GiveMeABreak
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Maybe there is a limit to the amount that can be left.

I've withdrawn the whole amount with no problems. Can you just change the number of units to the amount you want?

Yeh it lets me type the full amount in units but not only 90% as value. Strange... I hope they don't take 10% of course savings for withdrawing -_-
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    many platforms require you to specify percentage rather than amount when you are withdrawing over a certain percentage of the fund. Some have it at 80%, some 90%. They restrict it to choice of number of units or percent but remove the monetary amount option.

Its to prevent daily movements resulting in you placing a trade that exceeds your holding.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 1 April 2015 at 3:32PM
    Options
    If you have 100 units at 100p each at the last reported price it looks like you have £10000 worth of the fund. But the amount you could get by selling the fund is not known because the price you buy more at or sell out at, at the next dealing point, is only going to be found out once you've committed to redeem your holding and they've valued the fund.

The fund might get priced at 97p tomorrow which means the whole lot would only be worth £9700. So, they're happy for you to say you want to sell 100 units but not that you want to cash in £10,000.

If you said you wanted to cash in £9000, that would be fine because they probably assume the unit price will not be below 90p after only one day and they'll just sell whatever number of units they need, to get you your £9000.

*edit* hmm, I'm sure Dunstonh hadn't already replied an hour ago when I read this question... that'll teach me to open loads of tabs at once.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure