Only NS&I require Probate?

Options
My father died at Christmas leaving a will. My mother is the sole beneficiary and executor. His pension, joint savings accounts etc have all transferred to her on provision of a copy of the death certificate and the will. There is no house or other property and the total estate is under £100k. However, my father had £30k of savings bonds with NS&I and they are insisting that the will must be probabted in order for these to be transferred to my mother. I have spoken to them on the phone but they refuse to budge. My mother is 90 and in frail health.

Has anyone succeeded in persuading NS&I that probate is not necessary?
If we decide not to probate then what happens to the premium bonds?

Even if we arrange for my mother to resign probabte and then do it ourselves this will cost us at least £200 which we very much resent.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• _gav_
    _gav_ Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I doubt you'll get NS&I to change their process, they are after all protecting your father's investment. Probate shouldn't cost you that much, if his financial affairs are straightforward then you can very easily do it yourself. I did it for my mother's and fathers's estate, there is a wealth of information available on this site with some really helpful people.

Search for probate and away you go :-). Good luck.

Here's a link to the relevant forum http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My father died at Christmas leaving a will. My mother is the sole beneficiary and executor. His pension, joint savings accounts etc have all transferred to her on provision of a copy of the death certificate and the will.

Joint savings accounts, a jointly owned property etc would pass automatically to the survivor regardless of any will, and a widow's pension likewise.

However, a sole account is a different matter. Where savings are under a certain amount, banks and building societies may only require to see the will and death certificate - however, over that amount can be a different matter.

This seems to be the case with your late father's estate.

http://www.nsandi.com/files/published_files/asset/pdf/death-claims-brochure.pdf

"You’ll need to send:
    • A registrar’s copy of the death
    certificate (photocopies are
    not!accepted).
    • The Will (original or a
    photocopy certified by
    a!solicitor).
    If the savings are £5,000 or
    over you may need to send:
    • Grant of Probate
    (England and Wales) or
    • Confirmation of Executor
    Nominate (Scotland)
    We will let you know if this
    is the!case.
    These documents
    are issued by the court so that
    the Executor of the Will can
    administer a person’s estate"
  • SianandDavid
    Options
    Thanks Gav and xylophone. I have spoken to NS&I, although their website says savings over £5k may need probate, they say that in practice their policy is that anything over £15k must have probate. I have asked them to update their guidance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure