Post Office AIP accepted already taken valuation fee??

lc87
lc87 Posts: 14 Forumite
edited 31 March 2015 at 10:16PM in Mortgages & endowments
hi all,

applied with L&C for a post office mortgage last night,

got an email this morning saying bank of Ireland have taken the £270 for a survey/valuation already?

surely that's abit premature as we haven't been offered a mortgage yet?

what happens if we don't get an offer now? is it bye bye to that £270?

Comments

• betmunch
    betmunch Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    They cant offer the mortgage without the valuation.

If the valuation is done then the application is declined then you lose that money.

If that is an unacceptable risk to you then Post Office isnt the lender for you
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • lc87
    isit just the post office that operate like that?

ive read about people on here who have bee declined 3-4 times before they get accepted. fees will soon mount up if every lender operates like that?
  • betmunch
    No, some lenders do the valuation while underwriting.

Some lenders do the underwriting before authorising the valuation.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • lc87
    thanks for the reply,

when they say accepted in principal, whats actually checked? isit just an affordability check? while looking at income/outgoings? or is there any sort of credit check done at that stage?
  • betmunch
    Credit check and affordability check should be done at AIP stage.

Underwriting basically repeats the same things but in a lot more detail, and chucks in a load of other questions to make sure you meet criteria.

That is simplifying the term underwriting of course
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • blinko
    blinko Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You should complete the underwriting part of the mortgage first before paying for a valuation unless of course the estate agent or you require the surveyor in to maybe secure the property.

in my case i wanted the bank to complete the underwriting first before paying for the valuation fee and luckily they only lowered the amount they are willing to lend by £5k if it had been more I might have had to walk away and would've lost the valuation fee.

Although a question are you sure the valuation fee isn't an booking fee. I had to pay that just for the underwriters to look at my case.
  • pjread
    pjread Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    blinko wrote: »
    unless of course the estate agent or you require the surveyor in to maybe secure the property.
    That made me chuckle, does that line actually work? Sounds about as likely as "the vendor won't consider offers until our in-branch mortgage adviser confirms you can proceed".
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    blinko wrote: »
    You should complete the underwriting part of the mortgage first before paying for a valuation unless of course the estate agent or you require the surveyor in to maybe secure the property.

in my case i wanted the bank to complete the underwriting first before paying for the valuation fee and luckily they only lowered the amount they are willing to lend by £5k if it had been more I might have had to walk away and would've lost the valuation fee.

Although a question are you sure the valuation fee isn't an booking fee. I had to pay that just for the underwriters to look at my case.
    Some lenders debit the valuation fee at application.

However, the valuation fee isn't "spent" until the inspection has actually been done, so a decline pre-valuation would usually mean the fee is refunded.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • lc87
    checked noddle this evening, shows a money laundering check from L&C but nothing from post office.

I would have thought that would show up when they did the soft credit check for aip?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure