V5/Licence/Insurance Claim Help

Options
read20
read20 Posts: 5 Forumite
Hi all,

Recently my car was involved in an accident with another car, whereby the other driver crashed into my car (partner was driving) forcing her across a busy road into a ditch on the other side. A passing police officer attended, and details were swapped etc and my partner was allowed to go home.

To start, the car was in a bad state, damage to the front of the car and my partner had hit her head on the steering wheel, so when she turned up i was shocked she had been allowed home as half her face was covered in blood! She was shaken and crying and just wanted to go to bed, went to the drs the next day and since has been referred to the hospital for neck/back injuries!

Thats not the issue however just an annoyance I had! My car, where she is a named driver, currently is insured at my home address, as is my driving licence. Stupidly, I forgot to update the address on my V5, which Ive only just seen is still my parents house, where I lived all my life until I left say 3 years ago.

As were going to be claiming on the other guys insurance, and he has admitted it was his fault, will this cause issues? Im worried it will be voided for this if found out. Ive always had insurance, put my new home address, and my licence address was changed when I got points, sent it off, and changed it there.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    Options
    I thought your details regarding the law were "a contactable address" which it was , however your own insurance might query it as the location/overnight storage was,nt as stated

if its not going thru your insurance don,t worry ,
  • read20
    read20 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    No would be done through the other parties insurance I assume as he hit her from behind (she also thinks he was driven off in the police car but didn't fully see, old lady at the road said he failed breath test too!)

Im hoping it won't be an issue, as Ive been honest with regards to the insurance, ie. said its kept on my driveway at my house, which isn't as good of area as the V5 address (my parents) so if Id have wanted to defraud, save money,etc Id have put it all there..
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2015 at 8:40PM
    Options
    Even if you had no insurance cover at all (which would be the case if your cover was third party/fire/theft!) it would be irrelevant to your claim against the third party.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as the address on the V5C is concerned, it needs to be an address where you can be contacted, if you could be contacted via your parents, that will be OK.
  • Astronaughtwannabe
    Options
    Won't be a problem with your insurance company, though you'll have to explain it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure