Mortgage application declined

Options
Can anyone help/ We have been declined a mortgage by Halifax due to credit score. Is it worth writing to them to appeal this or do they not usually overturn these decisions?
Thanks

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    depends upon what caused the rejection
  • NICOLAWB
    NICOLAWB Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Bad credit score due to high credit card balances. But these balances will all be cleared by the mortgage.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your time would be better spent finding a mortgage broker to help you manage this situation properly.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You cannot use mortgages to clear credit card balances. They will not overturn that decision so you will need to look at other means of clearing the credit cards preferably before applying for another mortgage elsewhere.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So this is a remortgage for debt consolidation is it?

Loan to value?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Teaandtoast0124
    Options
    How high were your credit card balances??
  • NICOLAWB
    Options
    This is all done with advice of a mortgage broker.
    Including the credit cards the LTV is 79%.
  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,388 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much is the credit card debt?

Any missed payments?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • NICOLAWB
    Options
    Cc outstanding is 45k
    No missed.
  • Mortgage_Mark_2
    Options
    Halifax DIP is a pretty good indicator of the outcome at full application, if anything it's more likely you'll get accepted earlier and then have an issue with the more detailed check they do at application.

Can't see a resolution with Halifax on this one unless it's been keyed incorrectly......
    I am a mortgage adviser.
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure