Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How is the patient now?
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    Alchemilla wrote: »
    How is the patient now?

Improving, thanks :). Hoping we might still get away for a few days.
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    Have finally escaped to parents' house and hoping DS holds up. Spent £££ this morning on some summer clothes for him. Got them at the supermarket so not too bad in terms of cost but still feel a bit guilty even though I have a clothes budget. It's funny how you quickly become conditioned not to spend money when you make yourself aware of it all. I do need some bits for me, but I'm trying to drag out with what I have for now.

I've been reading some of the diaries on here and it's been very interesting. I certainly like the idea of attaining financial freedom, but I'm not sure it would be manageable for us for many, many years because of having DC and wanting to do things with them. I don't want to sacrifice all experiences for the sake of working a couple more years. Plus, I suspect that I need work. I struggle to find direction without the routine of it. I'm not sure I would want to be at home 24/7, although if I could think of a business proposition I would happily work from home on something like that.

I have a lot to learn and still need to clarify what exactly it is that I want to achieve from life. If anyone can recommend good financial blogs or books, or life-coach style things, it is my birthday soon so I can compile a wishlist. :D

I'm going to be 36, perhaps this is the beginning of my crisis. What am I doing with my life????
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    I'm mostly marking. That's what I am doing. Marking. With the odd bit of planning thrown in and a variety of other pointless pieces of paperwork.
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    I'm setting personal goals towards the creation of choices in my life. One is to get promoted in the next 18 months. There is a job that I am currently tempted by, but I want to see out another year in my post.

One thing I need to cultivate is efficiency. I work a lot of hours, but I can also be an arch procrastinator. I am determined to work on my self discipline in all aspects of my life as my impulsive, moody ways have contributed to getting us where we are now.

Anyway, goal one is to suck it up and get on with it. I started well yesterday by doing several hours on my pile of work, rather than ignoring it and faffing about on the internet - which is my vice of choice, alongside inhaling junk food. I also managed a full day making sensible eating choices in spite of being at parents' house which is packed to the rafters with treat foods.

This dedication to mastering self discipline is going to be essential for long term financial successive. My impulsiveness has not helped us at all financially.

So here I am, once again attempting to embrace change. Lots more work to get diligently on with today and lots of chocolate to avoid... :D
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    Last real day of the 'holiday' today. Still lots of work to do, even though I've been chipping away at it all week.

I feel oddly pleased that I will be back into a routine next week as it becomes far easier not to spend and to stick to the diet. Next half term is going to be very challenging in terms of work, so must stay focused.
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    Have spent a couple of days with DH exploring choices. One thing we might try is him working PT if he doesn't get the job he has recently gone for. The commute he does is really tough and our home life is non-existent. We spend weekends wiped out from the demands of very full-on jobs.

If he was to go PT, it would be really wonderful for all of us and take such a lot of pressure off me, but in terms of money it would be a substantial cut in take-home. I am main earner though and I will be continuing FT and going for promotions yet.

So, anyway, back to work tomorrow with a renewed focus on saving the pennies. I'm cooking now - a meal for tomorrow evening and one for the freezer. We don't have a vast amount of freezer space, but I think trying to cook once for two or more meals is certainly going to help the budget and keeping me on the straight and narrow where the diet is concerned when I feel tight for time during the week.
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mumtomonkeys- sounds like you have some good ideas to reduce your spending in general.

Also have a look at your monthly bills and see if there's anyway you can reduce these. I went on the energy club on this site and saved £60 a month. Making pack lunches and stopping popping in for food shopping has saved me a lot too.

Good luck with your journey!
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position (Jan 2024) : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Options
    The commute he does is really tough and our home life is non-existent. We spend weekends wiped out from the demands of very full-on jobs.

If he was to go PT, it would be really wonderful for all of us and take such a lot of pressure off me, but in terms of money it would be a substantial cut in take-home.

Hi mumto2:)

I have just read through your diary, and I hope you don't mind me sticking my two penneth in. These three sentences are so powerful. Would the cut in take home pay significantly impact on your lifestyle in a detrimental way other than setting back MF plans somewhat? If your DH can go PT and yet you still can, as a family, maintain the same level of comfort, food, warmth etc then as an outsider looking in its a no brainer. It seems Pt work would make your DHs life faaaar easier, and as you say ease pressure on you. The whole family would benefit, and you can get back the joy of precious family time. Without that, what's the point? Work to live, not live to work I say.

Wishing you all the best whichever path you take x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    Hi mumto2:)

I have just read through your diary, and I hope you don't mind me sticking my two penneth in. These three sentences are so powerful. Would the cut in take home pay significantly impact on your lifestyle in a detrimental way other than setting back MF plans somewhat? If your DH can go PT and yet you still can, as a family, maintain the same level of comfort, food, warmth etc then as an outsider looking in its a no brainer. It seems Pt work would make your DHs life faaaar easier, and as you say ease pressure on you. The whole family would benefit, and you can get back the joy of precious family time. Without that, what's the point? Work to live, not live to work I say.

Wishing you all the best whichever path you take x

Thank you for this :). We're going to wait for the second interview and see how it goes, then crunch some numbers. I think it's a plan - at the end of the day, he will still be in work and could always request to increase if we really struggled. I also love the idea of some of the pressure being taken off me, which might sound selfish, but DH would handle the vast majority of the housework and we would be able to do things as a family on a weekend. I frequently work long hours at the weekend, but at least the hours off could be spent doing nice things, other than desperately struggling to get the house in order whilst despairing at the state of it all :D.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure