Help getting new windows

Options
We are just getting back on our feet after many years struggling with debts. My OH and I are now on good salaries (approx £40k each) and starting to beat down our debts. Both of our credit ratings are still Very Poor.

We own our own home, but the windows are wooden and rotten right through. We don't have central heating (just the old storage heaters) but due to the rotten window frames the house is constantly freezing cold. Many of the windows cannot be opened and closed easily, resulting in damp in most of the rooms. My husband and I both have asthma but luckily our 2 children (aged 7 and 8) do not.

We desperately need to get our windows replaced but have been turned down for credit by window companies and for loans, etc. Does anyone know if there is anyway to access some kind of energy grant or loan through the local council that will enable us to get our windows sorted? Or can anyone recommend a clever way to get ourselves sorted? Unfortunately we do not have any family/friends who would be either willing or able to help us out. Our house is a very modest 2 up 2 down with 6 windows and 2 doors.

I'm not sure how long it will take to repair our credit histories. I have one CCJ which was satisfied within one month of being issued (in 2014). I have had my defaulted credit cards on £1 monthly repayments for many years (approx 4-5). The value I owe is £15k, my husband has approx £10k of unsecured debts which he has kept up with the minimum repayments. We have a house worth approx £190k (presumably it would be worth a little more with fixed windows!!!) with a mortgage of £149k and a secured loan with a balance of £36k (which has completely crippled us but we are trying to pay this down with the extra spare income we have now).

Many Thanks for any help and apologies for the essay!!!

Comments

• bigmomma051204
    Options
    I can't offer any ideas BUT some positive thinking for you...

My husband and I only earn £40k between us...We too are in major need of new windows... So you can at least console yourself that with over double the income we have, you will have windows LONG before we ever do! :)
    Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?
  • Wendy23
    Wendy23 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks but I wouldn't be too sure. Once we have made our debt repayments I suspect we have less expendible income than you.
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am a one wage family , 30k plus child benefit , not a whole lot of savings and i am nervously eyeing up my windows as one day , not too far away , at least a couple need replacing , Im dreading it , not sure how much damage to the inside of the window area happens and have never bought DG in my life

Something to look forward to worrying about

good luck op
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could do one window at a time.

Get them all measured properly and get quotes from local indys.

Then ask very nicely if you could have a window fitted when you have the money. Don't have to get them all made at same time.

Unless they are absolutely huge windows they will probably come in at under £500 per unit and as some windows will be small ( probably) then much less.

Don't bother with the big companies ( this is said on every thread re windows)
    Go local go small go with references from neighbour/friends etc
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    missprice wrote: »
    You could do one window at a time.

Get them all measured properly and get quotes from local indys.

Then ask very nicely if you could have a window fitted when you have the money. Don't have to get them all made at same time.

Unless they are absolutely huge windows they will probably come in at under £500 per unit and as some windows will be small ( probably) then much less.

Don't bother with the big companies ( this is said on every thread re windows)
    Go local go small go with references from neighbour/friends etc

THis was my thought too.

Re debt, have you done statement of affairs etc over on Debt Free Wannabe? I'm not criticising, just asking....
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you really think that a household with an income of £80K is going to qualify for a grant to improve a private property? The fact that you may have negligible residual income after debt repayment is not going to be a factor.
    You could look the Green Deal, as this is recovered out of your electricity bills, but it will probably require you to have more than just DG. This is a loan, not a grant, and the cost is recovered over ten years at 7% pa-and the repayment must be taken on by the new owner, should you sell within the loan period.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport