Why did you choose your gaming platform?

Meryl_Silverburgh
Meryl_Silverburgh Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 31 March 2015 at 8:31AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Simple question. What tipped the balance in the favour of your chosen game console - whether it be a PC, PS3, PS4, PS2, Wii, WiiU, 360, XBOX One, Vita, DS, 3DS, Tablet or phone?

Was it the games? Price? Brand? Or something else?

I mainly retro game and am a big fan of Sega so I tend to get Sega stuff on various platforms.

Comments

• Andy_89
    Andy_89 Posts: 245 Forumite
    The choice is always down to who has what.

I had an Xbox One with my main gaming friend, then more and more friends got a PS4 so I switched!
  • Gra76
    Gra76 Posts: 804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    With current gen consoles I went for an XBox One because my friends had them. We have a gaming evening every Thursday. I was already paying for Xbox Live Gold on my 360 so that's handy that it transfers across too.
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To me, consoles would be plugged in the main TV, where as a PC would be readily accessible.

So a PC would be good for day to day stuff and day to day gaming (Such as football manager), but a console would be for die hard (better) gaming when there is nothing on TV.

As to which console, I went for the PS4, as it is more powerful than the Xbox, so should have a longer lifespan. That plus I also had a PS3 (for the same reasons), so you get used to the exclusive games on that console (Such as the Uncharted series for playstation).
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    I'm a PC gamer technically, it has a wider range of games & more games which I'm invested in - plus the gaming side of things generally works out cheaper! On the consoles though I'm more inclined towards Xbox, not as powerful a machine, but it's geared more towards the sort of things I as a gamer need. Take for example the PS4 controller, besides the fact they're stupidly expensive, the whole touch pad & light bar thing are as much use to me as a pacifist shotgun - just no point in them whatsoever.

It also depends on the game, if Konami were to turn round tomorrow & kick MGS5 into the long grass on current gen I'd upgrade to PS4 first because I only play MGS on Playstation formats. Years of playing them on them have meant I can't play it on Xbox, the button configuration would throw me way off. Similarly if/when they release another Ghost Recon it'll be on Xbox - just what I've always played them on.

Long term will I buy both Xbox One and PS4, more than likely, but it'll be after a new PC & probably some time nearer the end of 2015 or mid 2016.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    I play mainly on PC for various reasons.

It was the first platform I played games on, way back in the Doom days.

It has native support for almost every possible type of input device. I prefer keyboard and mouse in FPS games, and usually use the Xbox 360 controller for RPG games.

Most games can be bought cheaper on PC, which means you can outlay more on the initial hardware to get a better experience.

I like TBS and RTS games of which consoles only have a handful and most of them are a horrid chore to play.

I can still play most of the games I enjoyed from ten, or even twenty, years ago without needing to keep an old PC around to do it.

Mods are generally easier to access on PCs and some mods can give old games a whole new lease of life (such as all the mods for SimCity 4).

Steam. Steam sales. Steam library. Steam in-home streaming. Steam workshop (very good for things like Skyrim).

And, if I'm honest, even simple things like customisation of the unit. I'm not restricted to somebody else's design philosophy. If I want a big sod-off tower with flashing lights and all that jazz, I can have one. If I want a small compact case the same size as an Xbox One, I can have one (hardware permitting, of course).

All that said though, I did recently buy an Xbox One but only because I knew I would buy one eventually as there are games I prefer playing on consoles (mostly sports, racers), are games that I want to play that are not, and in some cases will not be, available on PC, and I saw a decent bundle and thought yeah, sure. It won't get a lot of use but it serves as an extra media centre for when it's not being used as a PC which is handy while Amazon still isn't on Roku.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Used to game entirely on PC for years, going back to the early 1990's, but got fed up of finding my PC was no longer up to spec every couple of years, so I've gone completely console for proper gaming - other than a few apps on the tablet. Had a PS3 up until last Christmas so was always thinking of a PS4, but did have a look at the Xbox. However, it swung on my gaming mates getting a PS4, plus those that are still on PS3 are connected via the PSN, so I can always chat to them and tell them to get a move on getting a PS4. Don't think there's much in it between the quality or quantity of games between the main 2 consoles, just the titles you like or not.
  • grahamgoo
    grahamgoo Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I got an Xbox 360 around the time the next gen consoles were coming out. It was between that and a PS3 because they were cheaper to buy, and games were plentiful and also much cheaper. I just picked up 4 good 2nd hand games for around a tenner so great value. To decide between the 360 and Ps3 - well it was quite a close call, i suppose the xbox controller looked better. I also wanted Forza 4 although I didn't actually enjoy playing that as much as I expected. Also a bit disappointed accessories such as steering wheels don't seem to be compatible so I haven't bought one.

Once I've finished the games I have now, I think I will lose interest. I have no plans for an Xbox one or PS4. I will more then likely get a mid range gaming PC (at least whatever about £7-800 will buy me) as I am finding simulation games appealing and there is nothing on the consoles to fulfill that.
  • ben_m_g
    ben_m_g Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't think it really matters anymore other than what your friends have.

I used to have a PS2 before a friend burnt a hole in the motherboard 'fixing' it, gave me an xbox to replace it, I have stuck with them as I like the controllers and never got the blueray appeal.

I have a gaming PC, but as others have said, it gets out of date and needs updating too often for my liking.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have always liked the ease of console gaming and not having to worry about the tech with pc gaming, I am waiting for a better line up of games on the PS4 but the PS3 and my old Neo Geo keep me entertained for now.
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    I've a gaming PC and a PS4.

PC, because, I've been a home computer gamer since the ZX81 days, so have largely owned computers and not consoles up to my final non pc computer, which was the Amiga 1200.

So my next step up after Commodore went belly up, was a PC.

Then when 3D graphics cards and decent soundblaster cards came out, it opened up the PC to some fantastic games and so I stuck with it, rather than a console.

Got a PS4, but never been a great console fan, as games particularly upto the mid 90's were very expensive, something like £40 + for Outrun for the Sega Master System back in the late 80's/early 90's. Home computer software ranged between £9.99 and £24.99 largely.

I got the PS4 last year, because I know several other people who have one and I wanted to play GTA V asap on a current gen system.

Like when I got an Xbox 360 about 7 years ago, I've played the PS4 regularly for 3 or 4 months, but it's been sitting gathering dust for the past couple of months. But it's a nice to have and will I'm sure be around for a good few years yet.

Overall I'm a fussy gamer and not much holds my interest for more than a couple of hours play. Like many I have numerous PC games I bought on impulse in the steam sale, that have had little or no play.

For the console, I tend to only buy games I know I will play and then I tend to buy them when they are not brand new.

Only exception to not buying brand new, are when it's a must have for me. There are not many instances of this though, only maybe one or two games every year, are a must buy on day of release.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure