Financial assocation

Options
Hi all,

Myself and my partner live together, we only have one joint account on our credit files which is for Yorkshire water.

This has been handled fine and always paid on time but I have bad credit on my file (only in my name).

Because we are linked through our water account is she linked to my bad credit or only the water account?

Will my file affect her file?

She is worried following us finding the link on the water account

Thanks in advance

bcfc84

Comments

• GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    bcfc84 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Myself and my partner live together, we only have one joint account on our credit files which is for Yorkshire water.

This has been handled fine and always paid on time but I have bad credit on my file (only in my name).

Because we are linked through our water account is she linked to my bad credit or only the water account?

Thanks in advance

bcfc84

Unfortunately you've fallen foul of the latest threat to personal financial security, this one being perpetrated by the water companies, after having been seduced by the CRAs to report your accounts to their credit files. (I am currently in contact with the ICO about this general issue).

You should never set up water accounts or energy accounts in joint names. As far as the water companies are concerned, you should under no circumstances provide them with personally identifiable information such as date of birth. Ideally, let them know you as "the occupier".

In this case, due to the egregious actions of Yorkshire Water, your bad credit will affect your partner.

I suggest you set up a new account with the water company, identifying yourself as "the occupier".
  • bcfc84
    bcfc84 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply

How can they do that - that's appalling

Surely you should only be associated by the joint accounts you have not accounts you also hold on a single basis

We are having to move at the beginning of May, even if I set up another account at the new house for the water only in my name and close the old account, will the association still exist?

How can I break this link? Becuase she should not be punished for the mess I was left in by my ex wife before we even met!

Thanks in advance

bcfc84
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Options
    does it actually show on your reports as an association?
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • bcfc84
    bcfc84 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes it does and this is the only "joint" account we have

Thanks
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance

bcfc84

It will cause her problems. Can you not get the water account put into your name or her name only. That way you will have no financial association and the credit references will then take the association off your respective files.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply

How can they do that - that's appalling

Surely you should only be associated by the joint accounts you have not accounts you also hold on a single basis

We are having to move at the beginning of May, even if I set up another account at the new house for the water only in my name and close the old account, will the association still exist?

How can I break this link? Becuase she should not be punished for the mess I was left in by my ex wife before we even met!

Thanks in advance

bcfc84

When you set up the new account, try and ensure the previous occupants don't disclose your current address to the water company (or anyone else, for that matter). Then write to the water company as "the occupier" stating your date of entry to the property and requesting an account number. Pay by standing order. If you pay by direct debit there's always the chance they'll obtain your personal details from the bank account information. However, you might get a small discount if paying by DD, so take a view on that one. Absolutely do not fill in the form they'll send you requesting all sorts of personal information (just ignore it), and don't sign up for online account management.

Your only obligation is to pay the bill, and they don't need to know anything about you to manage your account.

As for the financial link, I'm not sure. You might think it would disappear as the old water services account is terminated, but it may stay on the credit reference agency files, in which case you may have to write to them to file a Notice of Disassociation. Others on this board will hopefully advise you about that.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »

As for the financial link, I'm not sure. You might think it would disappear as the old water services account is terminated, but it may stay on the credit reference agency files, in which case you may have to write to them to file a Notice of Disassociation. Others on this board will hopefully advise you about that.

It will only disappear by the company informing the credit agencies or when uncoupled the poster does.
  • happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    Options
    Once the account shows as settled, file an online notice of disassociation with each CRA showing it currently.
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport