Interest free card

Options
I have a debt on an 0% card £2100. The interest if free on purchases for 19 months, I took it out in September. Should I cash in an ISA and pay it off now or pay it off slowly. I do not intend to purchase anything on it again. I would really like to get rid of it as I don't wish to spend anything more on it. I am with Santander and want to get a 123 card with them instead.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,260 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Personally I suggest you cash the ISA & pay the debt off, just for peace of mind

It will also show on your credit records as paid, and no outstanding debt, which may help with the new application, but be aware credit checks look at available credit, not what you actually owe, so do not cancel the first card until you have second one
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The answer to this question isn't age dependent, so I'm moving it away from the Over 50s board.

MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    If you're worried about spending more on it, then why not just cut it up? And how would getting another credit card not be any different...(from the point of view of temptation)... or perhaps I misunderstood.

I'd just keep it. Pay it down out of your income whilst keeping your ISA intact (and presumably earning a little extra income). If you do run into difficulties, you could always cash it in later. You could always apply for a 1-2-3 card now. No need to wait until you've paid off the previous one. (Unless you're really looking distressed, having a couple of cards isn't usually an issue.)
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what about just making the minimum payments, and leaving the money in your ISA, generating some interest, and clear it at the end of the interest-free period?
  • chattychappy
    Options
    planteria wrote: »
    what about just making the minimum payments,

As a footnote, I'd always pay slightly more, if only £1 more. This will avoid any "minimum payment" marker on the credit file.
  • planteria
    Options
    im not sure such markers exist though, chattychappy

i have always had my DDs sat as either 'Full Balance', for Spending cards, or 'Minimum Payment', for Balance Transfer cards.
  • chattychappy
    edited 29 March 2015 at 8:59PM
    Options
    im not sure such markers exist though, chattychappy

i have always had my DDs sat as either 'Full Balance', for Spending cards, or 'Minimum Payment', for Balance Transfer cards.

They certainly do. I've seen them on my own Experian report in respect of my Tesco card.

Annoyingly I got a "minimum marker" when the minimum was also the full balance because I had only a couple of quid outstanding which I paid in full.

It is a bit of a fiddle if you use DD for minimums. You would have to make an extra manual payment of, say, £1. At the same time you have to understand the interaction with the DD in case the DD is reduced. (I don't use DD, but I believe the interaction depends on the card and the timing of your manual payment.)
  • planteria
    Options
    do you think that a long history of paying minimum balances, by DD, on balance transfer cards is not beneficial to a credit file?
  • chattychappy
    edited 30 March 2015 at 12:00PM
    Options
    do you think that a long history of paying minimum balances, by DD, on balance transfer cards is not beneficial to a credit file?

It is difficult to know how it would be interpreted. The CRAs do not record whether the card is a "balance transfer card" or that you pay by DD.

Rather like the "cash withdrawal" flag, I expect it is negative when taken into account with other factors - eg close to your limits + overall amount of credit high. Ie in these circumstances it is a sign of distress.

I can't see that it is positive, but perhaps much of the time it doesn't matter. As I only pay manually, it is no problem for me to "round up" by a £1 or so to avoid the flag when I make a payment.
  • JKSandy
    JKSandy Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    "The CRAs do not record whether the card is a balance transfer card"

CRA's do record if you have a promotional rate, which a 0% BT offer would fall under, which is seen by the lender.
    All that glitters is not gold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport