plumber overcharged me and landlord and credit cards company ignored me

Options
I am renting this flat in london and in september I have been ripped off by an emergency plumbing company who helped me with a neglected (by the landlord) leak from the ceiling of my bathroom that in one week (while i was away) it transformed in a flood.

to make it short the landlord won't refund me all the money because he says I have been ripped of ( well I know that £966 for a job of 1h19min is a bit overpriced for London too, but i didn t have much of a choice considering that all the contact i had wouldn't pick up);

the merchant couldn't care less, i paid, case closed for them;
barclaycard can't see how i have been overcharged and refuse the case
postoffice simply says mastercard doesn't comply to chargeback cases (really???)
Trading standards are investigating and they know this company really well.
and I paid and still paying the interest!!:mad::mad::mad:
I found several cases on newspaper to show that it is this company habit to overcharge their customers in situation of deep distress, and yes, who battled against them won.
Can you help me in my battle!

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    If you hand over your credit card and agree to pay an amount, don't expect the credit card company to be involved in renegotiating the price.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    I think the first point to establish is did you agree a price in advance or was there a written quote?

If (eg because of the emergency nature of the work) there was no quote/price discussed, then they can only charge what is reasonable.

If you overpaid, you MIGHT be able to sue them back for the difference. Going after the CC might be difficult...
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You choose the plumber and accepted their terms of trade. So I'm not surprised that no one wants to pick up the inflated charge. Being in London there are plenty of emergency plumbers. Your contents insurers via their emergency lines would have been able to suggest several reputable organisations. This would of at least capped the cost.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you speak to the landlord before getting the plumber round? I'm sure most landlords would prefer to arrange their own plumber (and therefore deal with the payment themselves).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure