PIP stress!

Options
Hello,

Hoping someone can advise me about a decision letter I receieved from PIP today. Feeling very anxious and stressed so hoping I can explain this ok.

Issue 1) At the decision makers reasoning section of the letter, there is a list summarising what I put in my claim form and the decision makers judgement on the same. E.g. 'You said you have difficulties with managing therapy or monitoring a health condition. I have decided you can either manage medication/ therapy or monitor your health condition unaided, or you do not need to.'

How on earth has the decision maker come to this conclusion? I stated how much support I needed with medication and identifying when my condition worsens to the person who did the home visit too, so how has this decision been reached? What was the point in asking me about this if they have disregarded what I said?

This is the general theme throughout the decision makers reasoning section of the letter; completely disregarding all the help and support I detailed I need in the claim form and home visit, and ruling I need no help at all.

Issue 2) It states that DLA must be paid for 4 weeks following the decision of PIP being made. My decision letter is dated 20/03/15, stating my DLA will end on 14/04/15. That's not 4 weeks, and as my DLA rates are double what I have been granted by PIP I stand to lose out financially if I'm switched over prematurely. I've queried this on the phone but the person I spoke to only confirmed DLA should be paid for 'a minimum of 4 weeks' and didn't seem to grasp the dates I have been given are not 4 weeks.

Really unwell at the moment and could do without the stress of this too. I will have to appeal as the decision letter is totally at odds with my actual care needs and support, but how can I do so when my existing evidence has been dismissed completely?

Comments

• Fin53
    Fin53 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I think DLA is paid 1 week in advance. Would that be where 1 week has gone?
    :staradmin 6 weeks from Assessment to award. :staradmin
  • zebra12
    zebra12 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Fin, I'm not sure about that but will give the DLA people a call to clarify.
  • K0SS
    K0SS Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    Do you use any aids you take your medications with? Or do you just get them out of the medicine cabinet, and just take them without an aid? i.e, read the label and take them without using any special experiment, like injections or something or medicine dispensing applicators?
  • benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    zebra12 wrote: »
    Hello,

Hoping someone can advise me about a decision letter I receieved from PIP today. Feeling very anxious and stressed so hoping I can explain this ok.

Issue 1) At the decision makers reasoning section of the letter, there is a list summarising what I put in my claim form and the decision makers judgement on the same. E.g. 'You said you have difficulties with managing therapy or monitoring a health condition. I have decided you can either manage medication/ therapy or monitor your health condition unaided, or you do not need to.'

How on earth has the decision maker come to this conclusion? I stated how much support I needed with medication and identifying when my condition worsens to the person who did the home visit too, so how has this decision been reached? What was the point in asking me about this if they have disregarded what I said?

This is the general theme throughout the decision makers reasoning section of the letter; completely disregarding all the help and support I detailed I need in the claim form and home visit, and ruling I need no help at all.

Issue 2) It states that DLA must be paid for 4 weeks following the decision of PIP being made. My decision letter is dated 20/03/15, stating my DLA will end on 14/04/15. That's not 4 weeks, and as my DLA rates are double what I have been granted by PIP I stand to lose out financially if I'm switched over prematurely. I've queried this on the phone but the person I spoke to only confirmed DLA should be paid for 'a minimum of 4 weeks' and didn't seem to grasp the dates I have been given are not 4 weeks.

Really unwell at the moment and could do without the stress of this too. I will have to appeal as the decision letter is totally at odds with my actual care needs and support, but how can I do so when my existing evidence has been dismissed completely?

A decision maker does not have to agree with anything that you say for a start. If there is no 'black & white' evidence backing up your statement of needs then he is entitled to call you a fantasist.
    If the DWP were ever to just accept what you put on a form as the truth there would be a 100% pass rate for all welfare claims.

Put simply, on the basis of what you described and the evidence that he has seen, he cannot agree with your statement. He would normally view all claims as being suspect and it is your job using proper evidence to prove his thoughts wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure