We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Urgent Help (University PCN)

lersince1991_2
lersince1991_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
edited 27 March 2015 at 1:29PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi,

So long story short I have got 3 tickets over a couple of months at my university design studios, the first two were on the same day :mad: I appealed for one which was accepted on the grounds they can't ticket me twice and I paid the second because I should have just parked where I normally do (was running late).

Now the THIRD one I have been given I have appealed using their online "Appeal PCN" process which i was sure would again be accepted given that I spoke to my head of school (important man) who was helpful and supportive and wrote a letter of support to release me from the parking fine on the grounds that I was unloading heavy project models for an important review (true). I then also spoke to the security centre who said that I should appeal with the parking firm which then goes through the uni for the process and of whom ultimately decide.

This appeal was rejected :mad: worse still, they never emailed or posted me a letter to state this was rejected and now I must pay the parking fine "£40 pay before 27/03/2015 09:56:14 to avoid full balance of £80".

Summary:
Company: F1RST PARKING
Status: APPEAL REJECTED
PCN Number:
Vehicle Registration:
Current Balance: £40 pay before 27/03/2015 09:56:14 to avoid full balance of £80
Contravention Date: 12/03/2015 11:16:00
Contravention: Parked without Parking Ticket/Permit
Evidence: 3x photographic of my car, the ticket on my car and the clear sign behind my car.

Contact Summary:
1.0 Verbal conversation with head of school who wrote a letter of support and has signed and stamped it, this read:
"Date---

---- ---- was unloading several large models for project reviews and inadvertently got a parking ticket.

Our students often have to drive to unload models and it is part of the academic process - I hope you can release him from this parking fine.

signed, and stamped."

2.0 Verbal conversation with university campus security who said that I should appeal with the parking firm which then goes through the uni for the process and of whom ultimately decide.

3.0 "Appealed PCN" through F1RST PARKING's website:
Details given included: Title, Full Name, Address, Postcode, Email, Home and Mobile Number and I ticked the box to say I was driving the car. I attached the letter from my head of school and then wrote:
"As part of our Masters course in **** we are required to produce
often very large and heavy models, or particularly delicate ones, as
well as produce a large quantity of other large format work. I was
unloading the vehicle in preparation for a marked project review and
inadvertently received a ticket.

I have spoken to the ****, the Head of **** School and he has written a letter of support against the PCN.
Please see attached.

I hope you can release this parking ticket from me without charge."

This was rejected but I only realised this when I logged in again to see what was going on as I did not receive any notification of the appeal, and I am still none the wiser as to their reasons why my appeal was rejected! I cannot contact them by phone (just an automated line to pay) or by email, only by post which will not give me enough time.



Now I don't know what to do, I have like two days to try and appeal again somehow but inclined to frustratingly pay it before it goes to £80.

I know I've also messed up giving them all my details and accepting liability so not interested in what is done, its what I can do next if anything.

I could also not rely on the letter of support from the staff member however important as this is a security issue.

I will also attach the (censored) parking ticket shortly.

Shall I just pay it? :(

Comments

  • NWSteve
    NWSteve Posts: 38 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Shall I just pay it? :(

    Yes, if you aren't going to familiarise yourself with the very good advice given in the sticky at the top.

    No, if after reading the sticky you have a better idea of what you are dealing with and how to proceed.
  • NWSteve wrote: »
    Yes, if you aren't going to familiarise yourself with the very good advice given in the sticky at the top.

    No, if after reading the sticky you have a better idea of what you are dealing with and how to proceed.

    I have read a lot on here but very confused, mostly because I have already contacted and given away all my details 😟 Also because if I leave it any later I am at risk of having to pay the full £80 fine if I don't get anywhere.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    its not a fine, neither the university or its agents have any authority to issue fines- even if the university's parking policy says they do.
    In fact if the university parking policy or similar mentions anything about fines penaltys, the charge is there as a deterrent/to penalise or anything like that then it will help you.

    it wont go up to £80 the true amount is Zero
    From the Plain Language Commission:

    "The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,837 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 March 2015 at 10:59AM
    I have read a lot on here but very confused, mostly because I have already contacted and given away all my details �� Also because if I leave it any later I am at risk of having to pay the full £80 fine if I don't get anywhere.

    No risk.

    This is not a fine! Come on, stop believing their stupid deadline for paying the 'bargain' discount!!

    You haven't read enough.
    Now I don't know what to do, I have like two days to try and appeal again somehow but inclined to frustratingly pay it before it goes to £80.

    No it doesn't and you don't only have 2 days to appeal to POPLA. If you pay this you'd be an utter numpty and I am sure you are not. We assume the rejection letter offers POPLA stage. So what's the problem then? The NEWBIES thread already tells you how to WIN at POPLA.

    Why don't you just 'search this forum' for 'F1rst POPLA' (spelt that way with a 1 instead of 'i') and copy and adapt a previously-written example of a winning POPLA appeal. Your POPLA code has to be used within 28 days of the rejection letter so don't cut it fine, but do do more research into this, by searching as I have suggested with those 2 keywords.

    Wow you and the head of school have taken this drivel far too seriously and that was a terrible appeal but at POPLA you can start again with a decent one.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    you are in all likelihood on a list of people who can be scammed as you have all ready paid them once!

    you really need to take all the good advice given above and make sure others including ' head of school (important man)' understands what sort of people that have infested your uni

    good luck

    Ralph:cool:
  • Hot_Bring
    Hot_Bring Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    I don't mean to be rude here so apologies if I am but ....

    .... if you're studying for a Masters I'm struggling as to how you can get so confused with the Newbie sticky.

    If it helps, often I suggest people read it with a pad of paper and just jot down bits that are relevent to you ( lots won't be ). Then re-read your notes.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    .... if you're studying for a Masters I'm struggling as to how you can get so confused with the Newbie sticky.

    Indeed, but I understand that standards have been lowered since my time, and that for some, a third in lampshade technology is an achievement.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.