PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

lamb burgers?

Options
Hello all!

I have just picked up a free pack of lamb mince from Waitrose with a voucher they sent me (yay!). However, I'm a veggie although my other half isn't. I also have meat-eating family here this weekend so thought I could make lamb burgers for them all. However (again!) I have no idea how to do this! I've been veggie for over 30 years and tend to only cook chicken breasts for my OH (he really likes veggie food!)
It needs to be simple as I don't want to spend ages in the kitchen when I have visitors, but thought I could make a veggie burger for me and serve the burgers with salad and spicy sweet potato wedges (so not a spicy burger, really).
I know at least one of you lovely lot must be able to help!
Thank you

Comments

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lamb with either rosemary or mint. Add an egg to the mince and herbs, give a good mix by hand and press into burger shapes.

It really is that easy!
  • natbags
    natbags Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    lots of flavourings into the mixture as they can sometimes taste a little bland - I always make a mixture up (eggs to bind, breadcrumbs if a little sloppy, fresh or dried herbs (lots) - mixed, basil, rosemary, mint etc... whatever you like and lots and lots of S&P) and then I fry off a little bit to taste - could your OH do that bit? Lamb burgers go very very well on a bun with Tzatiki - Yum !
  • Stoodles
    Stoodles Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For use as a burger, I just add salt and pepper and squish them firmly into shape, then fry gently. I want them to taste of lamb and nothing else.

I'd only add egg and crumbs if I wanted meatballs to go in a sauce
  • sm1971
    sm1971 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice - would you all say I'm better to fry them than put them in the oven? And how long to cook them for?
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My OH always cooks them in the oven because he is lazy and can't be bothered standing there. However, if you want them to be nicer I'd fry them--they probably don't need any fat or just a touch to keep them from sticking. How long depends on how big they are and how well done you want them. You may want to 'test' one by cutting into the middle to see how cooked it is. You can usually just ease a knife in and peek without slicing it in half.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lovely Shepherds Pie with cheesy mash on top :D
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • ciderwithrosie_2
    Options
    I tried these not long back and they were really good...

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/dieters-doner-kebabs/1767#453OaOHdprPAHEgf.97
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I make a lot of burgers with all sorts of mince.
    I think lamb, beef (steak mince, no cheap rubbish) & pork work well but chicken & turkey mince tend to be a bit 'wet'.

For lamb, I'd add either dried mint or a bit of mint sauce.
    I use Coleman's Fresh Garden Mint Concentrate as it's the nearest thing to 'proper' mint sauce.
    Herbs
    Pepper, no salt as I don't use it in cooking.

I never add egg or breadcrumbs to burgers, I find if you work the mince with your hands, really squidging it up, it stays together - but I do use a 40+ year old Tupperware burger press to form them up.

I agree that Tzatziki goes well with lamb.

I think Marleyboy has a good suggestion with Shepherd's Pie.
    We had this last night:
    lamb mince with onions & carrots, a bit of mint sauce, herbs, pepper and a topping of mashed potato & mashed swede.
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try this ...

BEEFBURGERS

Makes 2 quarter pounders

INGREDIENTS

250g of lean minced beef
    1 tablespoon of oil

METHOD

Divide the mince into two halves. Squeeze each half into a ball and then flatten it out into a disc.

Put the oil into a frying pan on a medium heat. Fry the burgers for about 5 minutes on each side.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use good quality lean and finely ground mince. The cheaper the mince, the higher the fat content and the more coarsely it is ground.

Use minced lamb, pork or turkey instead of minced beef.

If you use minced lamb, add some finely chopped mint, dried mint or some mint sauce.

If you use minced pork, add some finely chopped apple or some apple sauce.

If you use minced turkey, add some cranberry sauce.

Add some finely chopped onion. Add some herbs.

If the burgers won’t hold together, add some beaten egg. If you make the mixture too wet, add some breadcrumbs.

Cook the burgers under a preheated medium grill for about 5 minutes on each side instead of frying. If the mince is very lean, you might even need to coat the burgers with a little oil.

TIPS

Make them firm, so that they don’t fall apart. Make them chunky, as thin edges will cook too quickly.

When squeezing the mince, imagine that it’s someone you don’t like.

Chilling the burgers in the fridge helps them to hold together whilst cooking.

You can make the burgers using a burger press. This is a round mould, which you fill with the mince and then press it into uniformly sized burgers. However, hand made burgers have more ‘rustic charm’ and there’s no washing up.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure