PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

do you find it cheaper to buy groceries 'as you need them'?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I suppose its a bit of a mix as I do one 'big' shop a month if I need to, and just a top-up when and as needed. I have vastly reduced shopping though, and this month have only been twice to the shops, and only have one more shop to do before the end of the month and it will only be for fresh fruit etc.
    I keep a small list by the kettle, and put down on it as I run out of things, or need something in particular what I need, then once its got around 8-10 items I will shop for them. But I do shop around, and I know roughly which shop is the better price, but I am a retired pensioner and I have the time,patience and purse to do these things.
    This month I am really pleased as I have managed to 'shop' from my cupboards and freezer for a lot of stuff, and not really had to buy much at all apart from fresh fruit and veg. I did buy a 6 pack of long-life milk earlier in the month, and found that I am wasting far less milk than I did,although I didn't waste it just used it up to make milk puddings if I thought it was getting a bit too old :):):)
    I have a set amount of cash in a separate purse for all of my food budget for the month, and as a rather older MSEer I shop as my late Mum did, and once its gone thats it until the end of the month.

It helps you to focus more on what your buying, rather than using a credit card which makes you impulse buy I think. Real hard cash disappearing out of your purse helps put the brakes on splashing
    the cash :)Good luck with the forthcoming baby and I hope you enjoy making things streeetch a bit when you are at home
    JackieO xx
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm a single bloke so not sure if its relevant to your question but I split my shops into 3 types...

1) bulk buying store cupboards essentials that are normally on discount i.e I recently bought 30 cans of Napolina chopped tomato's at 50p/can rather than the usual £1+ tin

2) Saturday morning trip to the market for fresh veg/fruit, a trip to the Supermarket? (Whole Foods Market) for most of the general shopping and then some speciality shops for things like coffee, cheese etc

3) If I really want to eat something that I don't have the ingredients for or I've run out of something then I'd do a trip to the shops on the commute home.

I guess if you lived in the city then shopping everyday would be possible but I'd have thought it would have been more expensive/wasteful.
    Am looking forward to what others have to say.
    WOW!

You're really organised and it sounds like you buy some really good stuff. :T

I don't think you'll be single for very long. ;)

I do pretty much the same, bulk buy for things on half price, BOGOF and buy fresh fruit, veg, bread, dairy as I need it.

I meal-plan for 3 weeks at a time but am flexible if I find a bargain that needs using up.
    I also have a freezer full of meals - bolognaise, chilli, shepherds pie bases (beef, lamb, chicken, pork), home made burgers, home-made mashed potato etc.

I've just remembered half a swede, I used the other half in a stew last week.
    I'm going to boil it up and mash it then mix with mashed potato & use as a topping for one of the shepherd's pie bases.

I loathe waste.
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options

2) Saturday morning trip to the market for fresh veg/fruit, a trip to the Supermarket? (Whole Foods Market) for most of the general shopping and then some speciality shops for things like coffee, cheese etc

If I lived near to a Whole Foods I'm sure I would spend a fortune on food. :p I love their veggie food.:)
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely weekly. Ive cut my shopping bills by three quarters by shopping once a week rather than daily.
  • Piggywiggy
    Piggywiggy Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    I do a once a week up to 10 days shop, if I have forgotten something or run out and I nip to the local Tesco I come back with £10 worth of stuff which I didn't need so it wouldn't work for me, if you are not easily tempted by offers and have the time then it might be for you.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to shop a couple of times a week but seemed to be spending loads so decided this month to do a big shop at the beginning of the month and then smaller shops for fresh stuff each week.

However I don't think that is working out cheaper and will probably try doing a fortnightly shop with top ups for fresh stuff on the other weeks. When I've tried that next month I'll decide on which way costs the least.

Denise
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It depends on your personality

If you can stick religiously to a budget and not be tempted by bargains that you end up not using then daily can work ....however you also need to cost in things like petrol if you aren't walking distance, parking etc . If you treat yourself to a Costa every time you go to the shops for example....daily may not be economic :)

There's also what your time is worth to you to consider. Even though you are not earning your time has value and there's a calculation to be made as to what that time can be used for instead .....and the value of it to you (may be money may be making something may be something that makes you feel good value isn't just about the pennies)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,038 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It doesn't work for me, SMarkets are designed to make you spend and mostly succeed.

I have freezer stock, I shop about once a week, for fresh milk, bread, fruit and veg. It means I don't get as many RTC's as I don't shop a lot now however I have the stock to use up so it doesn't make a difference at the mo.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 March 2015 at 11:06AM
    Options
    I think it depends on how you operate! Right now I'm trying to eat out of the freezer and cupboards, so if I want to make veggie spag bol in order to use up some lentils, a tin of tomatoes, some pasta and some old celery, I'll quite happily go to the greengrocers (on my road) just for two carrots. This week we also bought just 2 cartons of soya milk on a trip (on foot) to the shops. I feel like getting things as they run out, and in the meantime using up other things instead, is helpful at the moment. I do however just walk past the offers and ignore them.

A lady I once knew used to have a competition with her husband. On Wednesdays she'd have to make the cheapest meal (usually from yellow sticker bargains), and on Friday he'll compete. They managed some great meals for just pennies! If you're a hardened YS hunter "popping out" at the end of the day could mean stocking your freezer for very little.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I did smile at your need to keep busy whilst on Mat leave........ I honestly don't think you'll find you have time on your hands........ I got more rest when I went back to work !! :D
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family