Old account and Debt uncovered in credit report!!

Options
***originally posted in wrong forum, apologies***

I recently checked my credit report. On there was a debt from an old bank account I thought had been shut 15 years ago. It turns out there was a transaction that went through after I stopped using the account (must have used the wrong card) for around £25

Since then around £2 to £3 a month has been applied in interest on the overdraft, and over the years has crept up to £250!

Do I have any recourse here? I understand this is my debt, but seems disproportionate to the value spent and I don't even have the bank details for this account any more. I am worried if I leave it, the charges will increase as the authorized overdraft on that account appears to be £300

The account was with Lloyds TSB, and I cannot find any email address to enter into correspondence with them on the matter either...

Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
Ben

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Is the entry showing on your credit file as satisfactory/up to date? or is it showing as missed payments / defaulted?

I would write to lloyds, state that you have noticed the entry on your credit file but have received no correspondance or statements from them for the past 10 years plus.

Hopefully they will agree to refund/reduce some of the charges/interest and let you pay off the remaining account.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • BP2014
    BP2014 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tixy

Thank you for your reply

Currently showing up to date as the overdraft limit has not been met reached. I tried to find an address to send a letter to, but can only find a dedicated PPI Customer service address. I imagine I could send to there, but also I am not sure whether I would now be a Lloyds customer or a TSB one...

Think a trip into a branch is going to be inevitable. Would rather have dealt with this through correspondance

Unless anyone has a customer service address for them?

Thanks
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you moved house? If not, you must have had a statement or two showing this? If not, you have a good case, but I ask the question as you give the impression you know what it was that caused the debt to be run up. Did that come from an account statement?
  • BP2014
    BP2014 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I moved house, so they had no way of getting in touch with me. I didn't update the address details as I thought I had closed the account. I don't know exactly what the transaction was, but see it on the credit report when the balance goes from zero to £25 odd, and following that can only see £2 or £3 a month incremental
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure