CCJ- wrong advise from Moorcroft

Options
Hi,

After falling behind with bills with welsh water unfortunately the debt was passed over to Moorcroft Debt company. I set up a monthly payment arrangement, due to financial difficulty at times the money wasn't in the account for them to debit so they automatically cancel the direct debit instead of retrying. Anyhow, back in December i had a letter from Moorcroft Business Centre Court with the outstanding bill amount £651 confirming that a CCJ would be issued if the outstanding balance was not settled within 28 days.

Of course I didn't want this on my credit report so borrowed money off my parents and called the debt company Moorcroft to arrange the payment. When explaining to the advisor that i had the letter and my concerns about the CCJ he explained that there was nothing on my account with them that suggests that they are passing the debt onto the courts- to go on and reassure me that they would not do that and ask me if i'd like to set up a payment plan...to which i was relieved and agreed to do so. I told him i had recieved the payment book and have 28 days to pay full amount or will be issued with a CCJ. He then went on to say that I should look further into this letter i had received as it seemed 'dodgy' as there was nothing on my file.

Recently I have started a new job with a better salary and have a partner and we are both interested in saving for a deposit for a mortgage...I looked up my credit report this afternoon to find there is a CCJ on my file. I am so upset, I have called my mobile network to identify the time and date which I called Moorcroft- it was actually 9 days after i'd had the letter off them regarding the CCJ.

I just feel lost and don't know what to do and feel like its my word against theirs??!! Someone please give me some advise, i don't even think a CCJ can be removed after the 28 days? :((

Comments

• Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You should have had papers from the court sent to your address.
    Why did you ignore a court document ?
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • heartdeco
    Options
    I didn't ignore the court papers i signed them and sent them back and they returned me the information that i had accepted the debt and advised i had 28 days to pay.....therefore I called Moorcroft to be told there was no such thing that they have passed on, nothing on file,and it was'dodgy' and to arrange another payment plan.

Thanks MarktheassumptionShark
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    So you returned the court papers with an offer to pay? If you did that then that would give you a CCJ.

However, Moroncroft led you to believe you would not?

The court only issues papers on instruction from the creditor, so if genuine they are not 'dodgy'.

If this padi off now, and if so was it paid within one month of the CCJ being granted?
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure