Ive just requested voluntary redundancy.. if they refuse, what next???

Hi,

Its my first time posting here, but im wondering if anyone could help. (sorry its a tad long)

My company was bought out in Oct 2014 (staff were TUPE across) and for the past 6 months we have been assured that there will be no redundancies just slight changes to staff roles. Anyway come 9th March 2015 our new Management team walked in and handed approx. 30 'at risk' of redundancy packages.

Those members of staff deemed safe 'at this stage' (including me) have been given re-organisational flow charts showing the future structure of the business - my role is NOT included in these plans (I sit with another group of staff as back up for them my day to day duties are totally different) It looks like its been assumed that I perform the same role as those I sit with. Although im the only staff member with my job role title 'legal assistant' all the other assistants i.e management assistants, accounts assistants, HR assistants are on notice of possible redundancy. I feel ive been categorised with the wrong pool of staff.

Ive put this writing to the management team this week and said that as my current role isn't on their future plans and as all other assistants are facing redundancy I feel my role should be deemed as 'at risk' too. I've also provided them with a brief overview of my job description and told them that my duties will be irrelevant once everyone else has been made redundant (which is true) Ive asked to be considered for voluntary redundancy on these grounds. (there has been no request for voluntary redundancies)

In fairness I don't want to work there any more and am hoping they agree to the redundancy request next week. All the uncertainty of the past 6 month has lead my GP to believe I may be suffering with stress (something else ive made them aware of in my request for redundancy)

If they don't agree to voluntary redundancy, can anyone advise what I do next?? They clearly haven't looked into my role as it appears ive been categorised with a different group of staff.....

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    why not just point out that your job has gone and you don't accept the one on offer as a suitable alternative.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What to do next if they don't give you VR is to look for another job.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Layzee
    Layzee Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    IMO if there is a chance of redundancy and you want to leave anyway you would be daft not to hang on and see what happens.
    If you get a redundancy = result, if not look for another job and leave when the chance of a redundancy has passed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure