Redundancy and contracts

Options
Hi All
I am in a redundancy situation at work, along with four others. Two of us are permanently employed to do the specific role in question, the other two have permanent contracts but for other roles - they are currently on secondments. The management have told us that they only need two of us yet all four of us are being told we need to apply for the two jobs. My question is, if I already have a permanent contract for the role should I be made to apply again? The way I look at it, the management have said they only need two of us, which is what they have as the other two are contracted for different roles. Does this make sense?!!! I am going to contact my union tomorrow so hopefully will know more then
Thanks all

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You do not, as it were, own the jobs you do. If each of the four people could do the jobs and two fewer people are required in the company, then all four should be in the pool to be considered for retention. If there are two people on secondment they are not permanently in the other posts and therefore it seems fair to include them.
  • melloecastro
    Options
    they have to be seen to be fair to everyone sadly. check with the union but they have probably followed the correct process.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It is up to the company to determine who is part of the 'pool' but they are required to use fair criteria. As all 4 of you are doing the job and they now only need 2 people, then it is reasonable to have a 'pool' of 4.

They do also have to consider suitable alternative jobs as an alternative to redundancies, so if the people who are currently seconded could return to their original roles then the company would have to consider that. However, if those roles no longer exist or are not available then unfortunately you and the other staff members are equally at risk.

When you apply, you should make the most of your (presumably) greater experience and expertise in your current role
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • hueygeorge
    hueygeorge Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all
    Well I was told today that I am 'surplus to requirements', one employee has been able to go back to her original role and the other two have the job I have been doing, so I am the only one with a permanent contract for the role that has been made redundant!! How fair life is at times............... I've spoken to Unison but they are busy and are getting back to me Monday. Without sounding bitter I feel like this has been a 'face-fitting' exercise. So, one door closes, another one opens. Which is probably the door at the Benefits Agency! I am a council tenant though so I will get housing benefit and to be fair this situation must be horrendous if you have a mortgage, so I'm counting my blessings
    Thanks for your help
  • Layzee
    Layzee Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends on what you want !
    If you are happy with the redundancy so be it
    If not you can ask to see the criteria and scoring that management have said they have used to select who was the most suitable for the role.
    In my experience management are devious and may not have followed the correct procedure even if they say they have.

Question everything, ask to see the documentary evidence of the process that they say they have used.
    It is your right to do so !

Good Luck.
  • KayJay
    KayJay Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    I think Unison should say - If your role is being reduced from four to two, then the secondees are to be sent back to their SUBSTANTIVE ROLE. The only time temporary staff are included in selection pool s should be when they are hired for that role specifically, like in fixed term contracts. They cannot give the role to a secondee - they do not have a permanent contract for the role so should not be in the redundancy pool. It sounds to me that this was done without Unison consultation. Ask to see the selection criteria and where your scoring sat.
  • hueygeorge
    hueygeorge Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that. I've spoken with my Unison rep but he doesn't seem to think that it makes any difference. I've since found out that one woman who got the job only has a 'temp contract' as she never had her contract renewed when she started the role that I am doing. The full thing is so confusing. Anyone know where I can get any further advice? CAB? The Unison rep has written to the Head to see the scoring and how the weighting has been applied but I'm not holding out much hope..................
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A secondment means that Person A doing X role, will go to Y job for a set amount of time (6 months-1 year etc) then will go back to their actual / permanent role (Role X) and continue to perform it.

In the event that there is no job to come back, they are in the same situation as you and therefore it is only fair that all of you should be in the pool.

Hope things will sort itself out soon..
    ally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family