MSE News: Budget'15: Savers to get up to £1k personal allowance before interest taxed

Options
Basic rate tax payers will be able to earn £1,000 in interest before paying tax ...
Read the full story:

Budget 2015: Savers to get up to £1,000 personal allowance before interest is taxed'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd love to know how they expect to administer this since George also said they want to do away with the annual tax return.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oblivion wrote: »
    I'd love to know how they expect to administer this since George also said they want to do away with the annual tax return.
    At a guess... interest will no longer be taxed at source. Banks will report the amount of interest you are paid to HMRC. If the total interest across all of your (non-ISA) accounts exceeds £1000 (or £500) then HMRC will send you a bill at the end of the year - or adjust next year's tax code.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a long time away and any May/June emergency budget could kill it all. But the plan seems to be:
    From April 2016 banks and building societies will stop automatically taking 20% in income tax from the interest earned on your non-ISA savings.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/414026/Savings_factographic_final.pdf
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    George also said they want to do away with the annual tax return.

Not quite - the paper tax return is to be abolished in favour of digital tax returns.
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Not quite - the paper tax return is to be abolished in favour of digital tax returns.

Since government websites never seem to work properly, that's going to be interesting. I presume those without the internet will simply pull the duvet up and not worry about it anyway. ;)
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Since government websites never seem to work properly, that's going to be interesting. I presume those without the internet will simply pull the duvet up and not worry about it anyway. ;)

You can still do a paper tax return if you want to.

Paper tax returns to be replaced by "real time" online accounts by 2020.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31937637
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    More 'tax simplification' :p
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "The Government is still to confirm exactly how any tax owed above the allowances will be paid, though it is likely to be via the PAYE or the new self-assessment system"

The Government announced that it will be done via PAYE notices of coding in the same document as the one that introduced the allowance: Budget 2015, on page 78:

"2.84 A new Personal Savings Allowance – The government will introduce an allowance from 6 April 2016 to remove tax on up to £1,000 of savings income for basic rate taxpayers and up to £500 for higher rate taxpayers. Additional rate taxpayers will not receive an allowance. As part of these reforms, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will introduce automated coding out of savings income that remains taxable through the Pay As You Earn system from 2017-18, with pilots starting in autumn 2015. (Future Finance Bill)"

Some interest still won't be handled by the system, for example foreign interest income, and that can be handled by the new online process and options to pay, one of which is also going to be coding changes.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2015 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Since government websites never seem to work properly, that's going to be interesting.
    I have been doing my self assessments online for a decade with no problems. You should try it, it's basically as easy as using the MSE forum.
    I presume those without the internet will simply pull the duvet up and not worry about it anyway. ;)

Surely everybody who is likely to have to do a tax return and/or use the new tax accounts will have access to the internet somehow? If not at home, then at work, in a library, at family and friends? Or even their accountant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure