Refunded twice more than should have been

I don't know where to post this!

I think I have been refunded twice or more for clothing that I bought from a department store.

I bought two items (same items, different sizes) using a gift card online. They were 'online exclusive' items and I had them delivered to my work address. I returned one of them to a store, and got a receipt saying one item had been refunded back on to the gift card.

I went into store today and spent only a few pounds. I looked at my receipt to see that three times the value of the item I returned last week is now on the gift card. It works out as the refund for the item I genuinely returned, plus the same amount twice more.

I don't know what to do! Can I spend it? Will they trace me and take me to court or something?!

Comments

• Was it Next?
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I don't know where to post this!

I think I have been refunded twice or more for clothing that I bought from a department store.

I bought two items (same items, different sizes) using a gift card online. They were 'online exclusive' items and I had them delivered to my work address. I returned one of them to a store, and got a receipt saying one item had been refunded back on to the gift card.

I went into store today and spent only a few pounds. I looked at my receipt to see that three times the value of the item I returned last week is now on the gift card. It works out as the refund for the item I genuinely returned, plus the same amount twice more.

I don't know what to do! Can I spend it? Will they trace me and take me to court or something?!

You have already posted it here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5199159
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Was it Next?

No, Deben**ms.
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    sarah1972 wrote: »

Yes, I posted this one first but found not many were viewing and there were no replies. Then I looked at when the last threads were posted and found this section wasn't used that much.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, I posted this one first but found not many were viewing and there were no replies. Then I looked at when the last threads were posted and found this section wasn't used that much.

I mean washington100 the OP, not your post ?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LaoCapon
    LaoCapon Posts: 58 Forumite
    You've got 2 choices.
    1: Spend it. If they query it, just say you hadn't looked at the receipt and didn't realise how much you'd spent. Unless we're talking 100s of £, then there's not much point for them to take you to court over.

2. Be honest and tell them they've refunded you too much. They might give you something as a goodwill gesture/reward for your honesty.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If they charged you twice you wouldn't hesitate to complain! Do the right thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure