PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone else grate their scented candles to use in a wax burner, instead of tarts?

Options
sb44
sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 16 March 2015 at 12:21AM in Old style MoneySaving
I bought a couple of Village Candle, candles the other day, after reading they were just as good if not better than Yankee Candles.

However, instead of burning them as a candle I grated them and have been using about half a teaspoon (if that), in my wax/oil burner. I had bought Yankee Candle tarts before but they never last long.

The grated candles seem to throw out a stronger scent this way, plus you know how much of the candle you are using rather than letting it burn and forgetting about it.

What I have been doing, is removing a new unscented candle from the foil tray it comes in, then melting the scented wax in that. That way I can quickly change foil trays and change scent and it doesn't taint the wax burner with strong smells.

CALG3hRWcAAqS78.jpg

Has anyone else found that their candles throw more scent if using them this way?

Comments

• Minihauk
    Minihauk Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, I have never done this, but will certainly try it. Thanks for the idea :T
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 March 2015 at 3:44PM
    Options
    Minihauk wrote: »
    No, I have never done this, but will certainly try it. Thanks for the idea :T

I have 4 candles grated now, all Village Candle ones, Rain, Summer Slices (Watermelon and cucumber!), Brownie Delight and Vanilla Caramel Swirl.

You can mix your scents together too by doing it this way.

My daughter doesn't like the Brownie Delight for some strange reason(!), so I have made a mix of 2/3 caramel and 1/3 brownie which she doesn't mind.

I am going to buy two more candles during the week, fresh strawberries and a vanilla one. They are both supposed to be great on their own but I am going to try a mix of the two for a strawberry and cream type scent.

I have ordered some tubs off ebay (don't have any connection to the seller) to store the grated candles in. I will cut the pic from the candle and stick it onto the side of the tub.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221600184958?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You can buy wax crumble as it's called online but you only get less than half of the weight of a candle for the same price as buying a candle when you factor in p+p.

As I have lots of candle sellers local to me, it is cheaper to buy a candle and grate it myself and get twice as much crumble.

Worth looking at the crumble site though for info re scent throws for different scents of candle.
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is what just less than half of a grated sampler candle looks like.

The smell that hits me when I take off the lid is amazing (Vanilla Caramel Swirl). :smileyhea

CAOhth6WMAAQtxy.jpg

Not sure what all of these good food smells do for the diet though.

:D
  • p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I saw something like this for using Yankee left overs but its a better idea to use the little foil tray to keep the burner clean.

Xxp00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport