Repairing My Credit - Removal of Lowell Default

Options
Hi all,

First post, go easy!

Bit of a background on me, years ago, ie 7 or 8 years ago i was not the best with the little money that i had.

To cut a long story short, i have no mortgage, single, and live with the parents, sounds sad for a 33 year old guy - i know!

I have recently moved back into my parents house.

In the past i managed to amass x 3 defaults, 1 x mobile phone, 1 x credit card and 1 x electricity bill (currently disputing).

The 3 defaults were all set to expire in the coming 2 years, they had all been paid off the week after they defaulted.

So they are all at least 4 years old, and all paid. The grand total for all 3 is 740 pounds, give or take a few pennies.

This past week, i have set about trying to establish some credit. This was due to the fact that the credit card company who issued me with a default, informed me they had fudged up. The date of default was 3 years previous to their original date and that they would inform the DCA to remove the default.

This was great news obviously, i waited a few days it still had not been removed. I called the DCA (Lowell) to complain, they promised it would be removed ASAP. It still did not come off in the 48hrs that they promised. I wrote a email complaining, and in the email i asked for the other default (mobile phone) also with lowell to be removed. I thought i would take a chance in asking.

To my amazement, the very next day, both defaults had been removed from all credit files. Shocked is not the word.

I received email proof from Lowell that they would both be removed, and they did.

My credit file (rating useless) i know, has decreased by over 100 points, due to the age of my accounts being reduced, this is since the removal of defaults, surely the removal of defaulted accounts is a merit not a bad thing. Anyways i know this score is pointless.

Now i have no credit accounts, other than a defaulted utility bill, and a small loan i took from the bank in March last year. I took this loan just to try and improve my credit with the bank. They also gave me a overdraft last year.

I have just this weekend, registered on the electoral role, i have the one defaulted account, i have been approved for a BarclayCard initial credit card.

I intend to use this card to make 100 purchase each month and pay in full.

How long, does it take for a credit file to become more appealing, considering i will have a loan, and credit card, with no missed payments but the 1 default which is 4.5 years old and settled.

It is my intention to try and apply for a mortgage in 12 months time, so i am hoping to amass as much history as possible between now and then.

I earn 55k a year, and have no outgoings, will also have a 15% deposit. I am hoping to buy a house for approx 165k.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family