Closed account removed

Options
I've been in dispute with HSBC for about 2 months after checking my closed accounts and seeing they hit me with a late payment marker due to them not closing my account when requested and the 2 banks fudging the transfer of DD from one account to another. Basically, they failed to close my account (balance £0) and allowed a DD to go out that should've been transferred, then applied a late payment marker. I explained this and they refunded the amount to my account and shut it down.

I didn't know of the late payment marker, so I called when I found it to complain. They looked into it and said "we have no record of you shutting down the account before the DD went out" which... obvious statement is obvious, that's why the whole complaint process was followed at the time and why they refunded the amount to my account and closed it a month later.

They then said that the only record of me being in the branch was a couple of months before I closed the account to order a new cheque book... and said that must've been when I requested to close the account - but because a DD had been set up 2 days after I ordered my cheque book (and closed the account according to them) it's obvious I intended for the DDs to bounce.

I calmly (:rotfl:) explained the utter stupidity that would cause someone to think I would go in, order a cheque book, and close down my account in the same visit (what on earth would I use the cheque book for then?!) and they said they couldn't remove the marker because I set up a DD after this time.

Dumbfounded. I wrote a letter - one of the very condescending kind that includes dictionary references and drawings.

I checked my Noddle update today and any record of ever being with HSBC has now vanished! :eek: I've ordered a statutory report from experian just to be sure, but...

Could it be that they realised how utterly brain dead they were being by thinking their version of events was factual? (especially after admitting fault, refunding the DD and closing the account back when they did)

I'm a bit confused.
I can't add up.

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you also reported your dispute to Noddle, they may have temporarily removed it pending resolution of the matter.

They would normally have told you this, though perhaps it's only just been done and they are about to tell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure