Retailers booed me for saying 'don't blame the delivery company' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I couldn't agree more! And I can't believe Martin was booed for stating something so... clear-cut. It's the retailer who employs the courier, so they're responsible for making sure they get the job done. As a customer, your contract is with the seller. 'Nuff said.
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Agree. Courier delivery - forget it. Royal Mail or local pick up point is the only way online works.
  • raldred
    raldred Posts: 9 Forumite
    Sooler i agree in part, delivery drop off services like CollectPlus and Amazon Lockers are excellent and very convenient.
    I'm not sure why you mentioned Royal Mail though, they are terrible in my experience, we have nothing but issues with parcel being delivered to the office here by them. Parcels often arrive damaged, wet, open.

The best direct to door delivery service I've experienced is provided by DPD.
  • Our rural cottage is set back 35m from the road. CityLink and DHL drivers seem to take one look at the distance to the front door and stick a sorry-we-missed-you card in the mail box by the garden gate. I am a regular at the CityLink depot which is a 45-min drive away.

But who can blame them when you see reported in the press how many packages they have to deliver in so little time and for so little reward? If I were to complain, who would suffer? Not the courier company but the poor sod trying to scratch a living.
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    Aside point - would love to watch you being booed Martin (well, you know what I mean !) but the link you posted is to an article that requires registration to see it ...
  • canterswest
    canterswest Posts: 364 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2015 at 5:26PM
    He was booed possibly because he forgot to mention the many MSE deals that fail to arrive and that he has never compensated a customer, he does not actually admit to having customers!

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2013/9/Moneysavingexpertcom-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_224694.aspx#.VQMLbXwgGSM
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Or boo the customer who expects delivery for nothing ( after also expecting the goods to priced at next to nothing ) , from the otherside of the country 5 mins after pressing confirm on the web site.
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    pelirocco wrote: »
    Or boo the customer who expects delivery for nothing ( after also expecting the goods to priced at next to nothing ) , from the otherside of the country 5 mins after pressing confirm on the web site.
    If that is what a company states they are offering then why should the customer not expect it ?
  • canterswest
    canterswest Posts: 364 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2015 at 8:33PM
    pelirocco wrote: »
    i won't mention the tragic obvious when it comes to MSE promoted deals that never arrived.

He also told the audience that because of who he is it would be very expensive for them if he had to wait in for a delivery.

He told retailers he represents consumers but when he appears in front of parliamentary select committees I think he says the opposite.

(Question 293 'I'm always very careful to say I don't represent consumers')

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmselect/cmtreasy/430/430ii.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure