Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Free/Discounted Mobile Phones?

Maggie.Moo_2
Maggie.Moo_2 Posts: 76 Forumite
edited 10 March 2015 at 8:24AM in Charities
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

I volunteer for a charity project and something that continually comes up is the need for volunteer phones. At the moment, we can only communicate (outside of face-to-face meetings) with clients via the line manager to protect our personal contact details. This can be quite a lengthy process when there are a few us trying to get a hold of our clients just to check if they are actually on their way (I have waited for a combined length of two hours for 'no-shows' as the line manager was unable to take calls and therefore couldn't tell us if people weren't coming).

I have thought about contacting a supplier to see if we can negotiate a donation of (or at least heavily discounted) mobile phones to be used by volunteers to contact clients. The problem is, I don't know where to start.

Does anyone have any ideas or know of any phone companies who have donated phones to charities/volunteers in the past? We're happy to accept secondhand phones but again, we don't know where to turn.

Thanks!
Apologies for any typos, my phone can't handle the forums.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Second hand phones: social media!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    You may try to contact companies via Twitter / e-mail to see whether they do. You can also ask for donations from public (word of mouth).
    ally.
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    You can buy brand new basic mobile phones from as little a £2.99 so wouldn't have thought that was the problem.
    It's the cost of running them ie paying for top ups on payg or the cost of contracts that's going to be the issue
    It's not just about the money
  • I completely forgot we're undergoing a re-structure at the moment and I'm no longer certain about our volunteer numbers but I might try Twitter/Facebook to target companies once everything is certain again :)

Silk: Where are there handsets for £2.99? I haven't come across anything cheaper than £7 (on contract). Surprisingly, I don't think running costs will be too hard to sort out as we can already make put phone calls on our expenses forms (although we are not permitted as we are not allowed to use our own phones to contact people).
    Apologies for any typos, my phone can't handle the forums.
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Maggie.Moo wrote: »

Silk: Where are there handsets for £2.99? .
    Argos sell them
    It's not just about the money
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ASDA often have basic phones for £10 or less.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure