OS Christmas 2015 thread!!!! - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

OS Christmas 2015 thread!!!!

edited 30 December 2015 at 6:42PM in Old Style MoneySaving
91 replies 45K views

Replies

• IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I,ve been spending a productive afternoon on 'Pinterest' ;)

I,ve been looking for Christmas cookies and cupcakes to make as part of the hampers.

It's my birthday just before Christmas, so will make some cupcakes for work as I think we,lol be overrun with chocolate tubs.

I,ve ordered my brown paper, which I,ve used for the past few years for prezzie wrapping - just using different stamps and ribbons

I,m off to the 'North Island' in a couple of weeks so will check out Primarni for socks and Jammies for the kids (teens) - we,ve always had a film night Christmas Eve, opened one present which amazingly is new PJ,s, fluffy socks, popcorn and hot chocolate :T

I tried to stop it the year before last, along with the removal of Christmas stockings and there was a revolt :eek::D. I guess no matter how old your kids are they are still kids x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • mrs_motivatedmrs_motivated Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving this thread, I am determined to be prepared this year. I'm not very good at making things and wouldn't know where to begin with knitting, so my efforts will be concentrated on bargain pressie buying and food prep, nearer the time.

Islandmaid, I love the idea of brown paper wrapping paper and jazzing it up with stamps and ribbon, I think I will pinch this idea.

Pressies so far for DD's include 3 bottles of half price perfume, 3pairs of pj's all 60percent off and 3 gorgeous designer scarves reduced form between £28 and £30 each, to a much more reasonable £4 to £6 each.

Mum and Mil also sorted with a snugly dressing gown and slippers each.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • nicki_2nicki_2 Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've bought the cranberry sauce and pickled onions for Christmas dinner. Still not made my cake but we went to the factory butchers on the 1st and now my freezer is full of meat :rotfl:

I'm doing some DIY jobs that I want done before Christmas. Currently working on painting the front door bright red, but the weather has other ideas!
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been perusing this thread as I was thinking of chopping and soaking fruit ready for my giant Christmas Cake - dates, prunes and apricots mostly - always a nice activity during a rainy Saturday with weekend Woman's Hour on in the background! I'll leave the actual baking until the week I have no choice but to turn the heating on!

Although it always tastes delicious, I am mindful of Nigella's method (sticking it all in a saucepan on heat!) which could save some time and a lot of worktop space.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that soaking the dried fruit in a mixture of brandy and Amaretto for 24 - 48 hours before making the cake gives a really good result.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Tink_04Tink_04 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I'm not crafty but I'm savvy! I can usually plan well and bag a few bargains but im trying to make Xmas a bit more family - my kids are nearly 6 and just gone 2 so we like Xmas films and books which we have collected during the year and I always make an Xmas eve box with new pjs and treats in but wondering what else I can do cheap with the kiddies?
    Living the simple life
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tink_04 wrote: »
    Ok I'm not crafty but I'm savvy! I can usually plan well and bag a few bargains but im trying to make Xmas a bit more family - my kids are nearly 6 and just gone 2 so we like Xmas films and books which we have collected during the year and I always make an Xmas eve box with new pjs and treats in but wondering what else I can do cheap with the kiddies?

Tink - when mine were littleys we used to 'write' Xmas lists by cutting out pictures from the Agoos catalogue then we would post it to Father Christmas in the North Pole - we always got a reply :D

And you could always do 'Elf on the Shelf' - perfect ages for that :T
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Tink_04 wrote: »

I also do a xmas eve box with new pjs, their xmas pillow slip, a new xmas movie to share, a new xmas book to share, and some treats for the movie like hot choc mix and pop corn. I also make bags of reindeer food (oats, sprinkles, glitter) And we go out before bed and throw it on the grass.
    I make a gingerbread house with my boys but everyone usually loses interest and just wants to eat the lollies :rotfl: This year I might just do some cookies.
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • mum2onemum2one Forumite
    16.3K posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if anyone is doing food hampers, Teco have the small panatonne, in 3 styles at £2 each on bogof ...

(http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267036641)

xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • rdonerdone Forumite
    470 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    I,m off to the 'North Island' in a couple of weeks so will check out Primarni for socks and Jammies for the kids (teens) - we,ve always had a film night Christmas Eve, opened one present which amazingly is new PJ,s, fluffy socks, popcorn and hot chocolate :T

I tried to stop it the year before last, along with the removal of Christmas stockings and there was a revolt :eek::D. I guess no matter how old your kids are they are still kids x

My mother has always done this as well and tried to stop. Last year was my first year in my own house and she even came over on Christmas Eve to give me mine! And I bought for my H2B. It#s a tradition that can never stop and I will certainly be passing onto my children when we have some. It's all part of the magic!
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6135131/this-time-im-sticking-to-it#latest
    My debt free diary
    Debt: £14896.33 @ 21/04/2020.
    Today: £13,062.25