We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Multi-car insurance... beware!

Went for Multi-car insurance last year with Aviva and it was competitive as had a large discount for going Multi-car.


Received new quote for this year and came in at £431 (all figures rounded to nearest pound). Tried another couple of Multi-car insurers as nominated by MSE and one came in at £430 (must be using the same algorithms!) and one at £630...


Pondered this and thought maybe try doing the cars separately. Used a comparison site and came up eventually with deal for £382, saving £49.00. Plus two free meerkats for the grandchildren!


So, suggest if you have two or more cars, don't default to the Multi-car offers; look at insuring them separately.

Comments

  • mad_rich
    mad_rich Posts: 868 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Do make sure you're not using the same NCD on both policies. I've been caught out by this one before. You can only use one NCD with one insurer at a time.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    mad_rich wrote: »
    Do make sure you're not using the same NCD on both policies. I've been caught out by this one before. You can only use one NCD with one insurer at a time.
    With Aviva multicar policies each car earns its own separate NCD which you can then use on separate policies should you decide to give up on the multicar if/when it is no longer advantageous.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    mad_rich wrote: »
    Do make sure you're not using the same NCD on both policies. I've been caught out by this one before. You can only use one NCD with one insurer at a time.

    Esure want me to move The Other Car to them when it is up for renewal, and say they will mirror my 14years NCD onto The Other Car, both NCDs stay separate (a claim on one doesn't affect the other, until the policy is loaded at renewal), so I can go back to my present insurer the year after with 15 years NCD not the present 4.

    I was thinking of moving as Although esure are a few pounds more, jumping to a full NCD then going back to Flux will save a lot next year.

    Are they fibbing?
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    They are offering a good deal (as far as the mirroring of your NCD), but don't expect them to give you 2 separate proofs of 2 separate NCD if you want to leave them at the end of the year.


    If they do tell you that you will have 2 lots of 15 years NCD after a year then ask them to confirm it to you in writing before you buy the policy!
  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Quentin wrote: »
    They are offering a good deal (as far as the mirroring of your NCD), but don't expect them to give you 2 separate proofs of 2 separate NCD if you want to leave them at the end of the year.

    I actually would want to leave them with The Other Car, as I could insure it cheaper elsewhere on a specialist policy if I had 15 years NCD on it not 4. I'd be happy to keep the original car on with them as they are about the same for a cooking motor as everybody else.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • mad_rich
    mad_rich Posts: 868 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    facade wrote: »
    I can go back to my present insurer the year after with 15 years NCD not the present 4.

    That does seem like a generous loophole, although not entirely unprecedented.

    I had a 9 year NCD when my car was scrapped and I didn't replace it for several years. When I came to insure a car again, most insurers treated me as a new driver, but Adrian Flux were able to find me a policy that wold 'take into account' my expired NCD, then issue me with a certificate if I stayed with them for 2 years.

    In the end, I didn't take out the policy so I don't know if it would have worked.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.