We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Temp cover and risk
craigmadge
Posts: 6 Forumite
in Motoring
Hi,
My question is about adding another driver to my insurance.
In May I am getting married and my wife to be's mum and dad are travelling home from where they currently live in spain. I believe they moved there about 8 months however they still own their own house in scotland and own a UK drivers licence.
I had originally agreed that they could use my car for approx 10 days when they are here due to myself being on honeymoon. However after just getting a new car the topic of this subject came up with friends.
I have been advised that 3rd party is a terrible idea due to the risk of my car not being insured if it is involved in an accident and their insurance may not cover them to drive another car anyway.
I have also been told that the best thing to do would be to add them to my insurance but again if there is an accident I would lose my NCB and potentially incur rising costs in insurance over the next few years.
The third option is to get them to hire a car when here.
Its difficult because its family however I want to do the right thing for myself and my insurance as I can't afford the risk of anything happening. Is the above correct or is there any other options advise.
Thanks
My question is about adding another driver to my insurance.
In May I am getting married and my wife to be's mum and dad are travelling home from where they currently live in spain. I believe they moved there about 8 months however they still own their own house in scotland and own a UK drivers licence.
I had originally agreed that they could use my car for approx 10 days when they are here due to myself being on honeymoon. However after just getting a new car the topic of this subject came up with friends.
I have been advised that 3rd party is a terrible idea due to the risk of my car not being insured if it is involved in an accident and their insurance may not cover them to drive another car anyway.
I have also been told that the best thing to do would be to add them to my insurance but again if there is an accident I would lose my NCB and potentially incur rising costs in insurance over the next few years.
The third option is to get them to hire a car when here.
Its difficult because its family however I want to do the right thing for myself and my insurance as I can't afford the risk of anything happening. Is the above correct or is there any other options advise.
Thanks
0
Comments
-
They could buy temp cover for your car. This may be difficult though as they are not resident in the UK. Adding to your insurance may have the same problem.
Hiring a cars sounds best to me if you want to take no risk.0 -
+1 for hiring a car.
You can just say you now have a new car and you'd rather not take the risk. You could enquire with your insurers, making it clear they are not resident in the UK. It may not be an issue, so could cost next to nothing to add them to your insurance for 10 days, which isn't going to help your case, but they should have no problem hiring a car themselves. You could even offer to contribute towards their cost?
You don't want to be on honeymoon worrying about your new car being in the hands of people who live (and drive?) overseas, on the other side of the road. Dead easy for the driver to scrape it having momentarily forgotten how much car there is to their left, compared to a LH drive car. Been there, done that!I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards