We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Ford service

ToriP
ToriP Posts: 168 Forumite
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Hi all

My 2009 fiesta has got up to 88,000 miles and is probably due another oil change.

I haven't up to this point changed my timing belt, but I'm thinking of having it done. The book says 100,000 miles but im not keen on leaving it much longer for risk of it going.

Does anyone know roughly what that may cost? Also, is there anything else I should have my eye on changing while they're in there? I trust the mechanic I go to but I like being informed when paying for work and discussing matters

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

  • I have no idea on cost either dealer or independent garage.


    I would say get the timing belt or are you referring to the cam belt, done sooner rather than later on that sort of mileage.


    In old money it used to be every 50 odd thousand miles to change the cam belt. I was in the same dilemma. The hand book said go for 100,000 miles, but in the well known manual that you can buy they say not to leave it that long.


    As for other serviceable parts if you haven't done them I would get oil filter done, air filter & possible the brake fluid changed.


    HTH.
    If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I would have changed it by now. Not counting down with my fingers crossed until it does break.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • Its always better to have it done it used to be 70k or 7 years, however times change I guess.

    Wile having the cambelt done you should always have the water pump done as a new belt can strain the old unit and its very common for a pump to fail not long after a belt change. Also remember you want a cambelt kit which means you want the belt and the tensioner which holds it in position at the correct timing changed with it.

    Most cambelt failures are normally the tensioner failing causing the belt to slip, not simply the belt snapping due to wear.

    Cost wise a local garage would charge anything from £200-£400 depending on there rate and what parts company they use. expect to pay more towards the upper of that figure when replacing the water pump also.

    Always use a reputable garage as if the job went wrong, and berlive me i have scene many mechanic mess up a camblet job it can be game over for an engine or a costly rebuild.
  • ToriP
    ToriP Posts: 168 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks,

    I'll get that booked in next week, might have the brakepads looked at with the tyres as well. I've got a feeling this is going to add up!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.