We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Results on Comparethemarket

xbrenx
xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
Hi

I checked on Compare for car insurance. The first few (cheapest) are companies that I've not heard of: Autonet, Onequote & Privilege.

So, I'm wondering if people go with the cheapest regardless, or stick with companies you've heard of. I do realise that just because I've not heard of them doesn't mean no one has.

I did also check DirectLine & Nationwide (just because we're customers of theirs already) but they were both very expensive.

Comments

  • Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Cheapest, although if it's only £5-£10 less than my renewal, I'd stay where I was.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,636 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Privilege is a Direct Line brand
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    One Quote Direct Insurance Services Ltd is an appointed representative of Europa Group Limited - Europa Group was established in 1997 when MotorCycle Direct was launched providing bike and scooter insurance solutions to the public. In 2005 Europa Group expanded into the Car, Van and Home Insurance market via its affiliation with Onequote Direct.

    Autonet Insurance is a privately owned company, first established in 1998 in Stoke-On-Trent;

    I think you will be okay with either and as dacouch has already said Privilege is a Direct Line brand.
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful :)
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dacouch wrote: »
    Privilege is a Direct Line brand

    That's the same Direct Line that "you won't find on comparison websites" and has a history of taking pot-shots at them in the media, huh? ;)
  • GJ_WRX
    GJ_WRX Posts: 117 Forumite
    I went with the cheapest on go compare recently, which was a company called Be Wiser. Massively regretted it.

    In the quote I said I had no no claims as had company cars for years. So they took this to mean I had 8 years no claims (to get the price down no doubts) and proceeded to hound my employer for a letter to confirm I was claim free.

    I wish I paid £20 more for the next best quote!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.