We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cash Discount

mealmond
mealmond Posts: 316 Forumite
Hi

I'm out and about later on looking to buy a small car for about £2k to £2.5k.

We will be probably be buying from a dealer and I just wondered what kind of discount I should be looking to achieve. Can pay cash or credit card but I prefer credit card.

I'm sure each car will have it's own room for movement but just wondered if there was an average I should look to achieve.

Not seen anything yet but if the right car comes up I am willing to buy straight away.


Thanks

Martin
Been there, done that, now I want to do it cheaper!!

Comments

  • zappahey
    zappahey Posts: 2,254 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You'll probably pay extra to use a credit card because of the merchant fees.
    What goes around - comes around
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    So you are going to go and buy a car without any research?

    How will you know what a good deal is?
  • burlington6
    burlington6 Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    They might even charge you more for cash. Businesses have to pay to bank cash and those costs add up. Debit card could be your best bet
  • Your best bet is to pay a deposit of at least £100 by credit card, which will give you protection on the whole deal if anything goes wrong.

    Pay the rest by debit card.

    Dealers won't be happy to accept the whole amount being paid by credit card, and some may refuse to accept payment this way.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • mealmond
    mealmond Posts: 316 Forumite
    Many thanks for useful replies, I was thinking the credit card would give me some protection, thanks poppasmurf_bewdley, that is what I was hoping for. Hintza, I have been doing my research, getting an idea of particular models, costings and insurance quotes, this I hope will be the final stage before I make the purchase.
    Been there, done that, now I want to do it cheaper!!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.