PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord question: Tenancy Agreement - can i change my mind?

Options
All,

I have a query on behalf of a friend, who is struggling to obtain answers online. If they decided to rent their property out and the tenant placed a deposit down with the estate agent with a move in date on 1st May - what would happen if the landlord's circumstances changed and they no longer wanted to rent the property out?

Is it simply too late, and as the tenant had paid a deposit then the home owner would no longer be able to back out of the proposed plan?

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    All,

I have a query on behalf of a friend, who is struggling to obtain answers online. If they decided to rent their property out and the tenant placed a deposit down with the estate agent with a move in date on 1st May - what would happen if the landlord's circumstances changed and they no longer wanted to rent the property out?

Is it simply too late, and as the tenant had paid a deposit then the home owner would no longer be able to back out of the proposed plan?

Thanks for you help.

Deposit, or deposit and first months rent?

Tenancy agreements signed?
  • Kayleigh141
    Options
    Nothing has been signed so far on the landlords side, however deposit only and tenancy agreement documents provided to Estate Agents.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing has been signed so far on the landlords side, however deposit only and tenancy agreement documents provided to Estate Agents.

Ok I'll try again, have the agents signed the tenancy agreement along with the tenant?
  • Argghhh
    Argghhh Posts: 352 Forumite
    Options
    might have some costs to repay the EA but should be ok to withdraw - say the house has had a catastrophic flood and is unhabitable
  • Kayleigh141
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Ok I'll try again, have the agents signed the tenancy agreement along with the tenant?

I am not sure - but would like to understand what can be done if the above has or has not yet occurred if possible.
  • Kayleigh141
    Options
    Argghhh wrote: »
    might have some costs to repay the EA but should be ok to withdraw - say the house has had a catastrophic flood and is unhabitable

Thanks - Could the estate agents not ask for proof? Can the landlord simply just state that their personal circumstances have changed?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    * the letting agent works for the landlord.. as his 'agent'. So
    * has the agent signed the tenancy agreement with the tenant on the LL's behalf?
    * if yes, there is a legal contract.
    * if neither the LL, nor his agent, have signed, there is no signed contract
    * there may be a verbal contract though. What exactly was said/agreed?
    * was the 'deposit' a 'holding deposit' or a 'security deposit'? What did the receipt or other documentation given to the tenant say?

Now see:

Tenancies in Eng/Wales: Guides for landlords and tenants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family