Am I entitled to a pension

Hi,
I was in the Forces from 1983 to 1986. Can anyone tell me what happens to the National insurance that I paid in relation to my pension? Would I get a small amount when I qualify for a pension or would I be able to claim any of it now?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 March 2015 at 3:52PM
    You are not entitled to a service pension as you did not serve long enough. Your NI contributions will be used in calculating your state pension entitlement, how old are you and have you had a pension statement ?
    Service preserved pensions

Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.
    The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped. Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60 or at age 65 if your service began after 5 April 2006. However, you can claim your preserved pension sooner if you become permanently incapacitated.
  • dazza-mac
    dazza-mac Posts: 336
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    You are not entitled to a service pension as you did not serve long enough. Your NI contributions will be used in calculating your state pension entitlement, how old are you and have you had a pension statement ?

Hi,
    I'm 50 no longer work due to health reasons. I've not had any statement related to a pension. I presumably won't be entitled to anything other than a state pension.

I worked for 2 years after I left the Army but had to give up work after I was assaulted.

I now have numerous health problems, some related to the assault and others that have occured over time.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you are on disability benefits then you would be better off posting on the "Disability and Dosh" forum. People on there will help with what you need to know.
  • dazza-mac
    dazza-mac Posts: 336
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    If you are on disability benefits then you would be better off posting on the "Disability and Dosh" forum. People on there will help with what you need to know.

Thanks, it was just something that I've often wondered about. I knew I was only paying contributions for 4 years and I didn't know whether I would be able to claim any of it back.

Presumably it means that I'll probably get tuppence a week added on to my state pension?.....if I manage to get that far....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure