IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

How important are these MOT advisories?

in Motoring
24 replies 8K views
Hi all,

I got my car MOTd today and it passed without anything having to be done, however, it came back with 9 advisories... :eek:

I only drive around 3000 miles a year, and rarely on long distance, motroway, drives. So I was wondering how imporant, or urgent, these advisories are to take care of (aswell as how costly they would be);

1 and 2. (Both) front headlamps deteriorated but light output not reduced

3. Offside front track rod end ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing ingress of dirt [2.2.c.1c]

4 and 5. (Both) front brake discs worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened.

6 and 7. (Both) front Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment [2.5.a.1c]

8. Play in steering rack inner joint(s)

9. Both front drop links deteriorated

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks. :)

Replies

• Call a local garage, or the one that you use to service your car, and get a quote off them for the work.

That will be the best way to get accurate prices.

If they were urgent then the MOT tester would of failed them, so best get them done before the nezt MOT. You could buy the head lights from the E-Bay rather than new units.

Everything else will come from a motor factors.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • colinocolino Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is absolutely nothing of urgency on that list. Spend a bit of time finding through friends or colleagues a recommended, local, friendly garage. Let them have a look at it and decide if anything needs doing at all, or the NT was fishing for business.
  • bob_a_builderbob_a_builder Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You could buy the head lights from the E-Bay rather than new units.
    Plastic lenses - clouded ? - probably polish it out
  • alex0789alex0789 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Thanks for the reply guys.

I'll get these things looked at when I'm next paid. Atleast I know now they're not urgent :)
  • LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've had advisories one year but then not the next even when they haven't been fixed. It's just the tester's opinion.

But it is worth keeping an eye on them though.
  • it depends on you, but some of those look like they could result in serious malfunctions later on. You have two critical safety items on there which have advistories, steering and brakes. Play in steering could mean a perished bush or worse a loose ball joint which will give sooner or later.
  • Play in steering could mean a perished bush or worse a loose ball joint which will give sooner or later.

If they were that bad, the NT would have failed them already.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When was it serviced last?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• DaveF327DaveF327 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    All advisories are faults found on the vehicle which haven't failed this time round, but in the fullness of time, will deteriorate to the point of MoT failure, or even making your car unsafe to drive.

Consider it a blessing that you have an MoT certificate for a whole year, with all that time (starting now) to fix those problems one at a time.

If it had failed on 9 points and you had to fix them all by tax renewal at the end of the month, you'd be panicking and facing a hefty bill. Start on point 1 this month and you can get these things fixed month by month with each paycheck, which massively helps your budget. You also have a year to decide if it's worth changing your car. If you do, you have 12 months to budget for that too. This is one time in your life where time is on your side.
  • CLAPTONCLAPTON Forumite
    41.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    alex0789 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got my car MOTd today and it passed without anything having to be done, however, it came back with 9 advisories... :eek:

I only drive around 3000 miles a year, and rarely on long distance, motroway, drives. So I was wondering how imporant, or urgent, these advisories are to take care of (aswell as how costly they would be);

1 and 2. (Both) front headlamps deteriorated but light output not reduced

3. Offside front track rod end ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing ingress of dirt [2.2.c.1c]

4 and 5. (Both) front brake discs worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened.

6 and 7. (Both) front Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment [2.5.a.1c]

8. Play in steering rack inner joint(s)

9. Both front drop links deteriorated

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks. :)

basically nothing needs to be done

none are safety issue likely to cause any danger

nothing worth investigating further
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News