Highway Home Insurance

Options
Having compared all home building/contents insurers as per Martins step by step guide, HOMEQUOTE DIRECT churned out the cheapest quote for me using a company named HIGHWAY INSURANCE. Has anyone had any dealings with this company before I commit to it?

Regards

Comments

• IrishGypsy
    Options
    Very sorry to dig up this ancient thread, but I too have just seen Highway Insurance as being the cheapest through the exact same broker (via confused.com). Can anyone provide any feedback on them at all? I can't seem to come across any online :confused:

Thanks!
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Highway are a Lloyd's syndicate. They are used by Hastings Direct and have been around for donkey's years!!

As to their service, I'm afraid I don't know. You do, however, get the added benefit of the Lloyds Market Assistance Department if you have a complaint.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Used to have car insurance with them. I found them easy to deal with and good value.
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Highway are the Insurer and as previously mentioned have been around for a long time. They have just been bought by LV= (thats Liverpool Victoria to most of us) who have been on the scene significantly longer still! Homequote Direct is a trading name of Bedford Insurance who are based in Wimbledon and have also been around for 20+ yrs (Motorquote Direct is another brand). You shouldn't have any problems with either (IMHO). Hope this helps...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • Insco
    Insco Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Highway are a Lloyd's syndicate. They are used by Hastings Direct and have been around for donkey's years!!

As to their service, I'm afraid I don't know. You do, however, get the added benefit of the Lloyds Market Assistance Department if you have a complaint.

Highway Insurance are not a Lloyds syndicate and you do not have the benefit of LMAD. You do of course have the right to refer any complaint you may have, as with any FSA authorised and regualted firm to the Financial Ombudsman Service

They are in my experience a Insurer that tries to put things right when they go wrong, but like all Insurers they are only as good at the last claim that they have dealt with!!!
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    pborojon wrote: »
    Erm Highway Insurance are a Lloyds syndicate, I was at the box the other day with one of their Underwriters!

Highway Insurance Holdings does operate in the Lloyd's market but the personal lines car and household cover is transacted by Highway Insurance Company Limited which is not part of the Lloyds market.

Edited to add: Apparently the Lloyds syndicate closed in 2007, according to Highway's last annual report (p.6).

http://www.hig.co.uk/hig/uploads/reports/12378Highway07ARweb.pdf
  • IrishGypsy
    Options
    I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who's posted in this thread with their help and advice. It's much appreciated :D

With insurers, how big a factor is price vs 'reliability' in payouts? Is this even really applicable to insurers anymore or even more so? I ask because the fiance was annoyed that I went for the cheapest deal, but that because she hadn't heard of them before, that they must immediately be worse than the bigger name insurers.

Any advice on this area would be greatily appreciated again. :)
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Price vs reliability isn't really the question - it is more price vs cover. A good example of this would be Swiftcover - different people will have had different experiences with claims - some will say they are reliable others won't. However, Swiftcover will often be cheaper than other providers but their standard policy offers lower levels of cover e.g. no windscreen cover on comp policies.Do you see what I mean?
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure