We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Road Tax Refund

wizzywig27
wizzywig27 Posts: 1,549 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Hey all

Recently moved address and forgot to change address with the DVLA. I am now trading my car and VW said its fine to take in V5 with old address on, but what will happen to the refund of my road tax?

I do have a forward on my mail with Royal Mail but I understand documents from DVLA won't be forwarded?

Do they just refund it to the card I paid on? Who informs them?

TIA

Comments

  • enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    it will be in the form or a cheque , and sent to the address on the V5


    if you had updated your address (as the law) it would come to you .


    I don,t know if the royal mail will forward or not , suggest you take several large envelopes with stamps on to the old address and ask them to forward
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hey, fully aware of what the law says, was a simple oversight on my behalf. Thanks for your input
  • enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    I,m sorry , but it might be nice to the new house owners and try the envelope trick


    good luck
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Just send the yellow section back with a covering letter of your new address.
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Thanks all, I'll try the yellow section idea

    Just totally forgot, I guess I'll wait n see what happens
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you have already changed cars it will prob be too late, our refunds arrived within a week of changing cars.
    However they are just cheques in an envelope so not sure why they would not be re-directed, they have your name on them.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.